Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

MPG Display On a 07 Silverado LS??

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG Display On a 07 Silverado LS??

Is there a way to display my current MPG on a display by pushing a button on the dash??? I would like to see my MPG for long trips. I tried pushing the button on the end of the wiper arm, but nothing happened.

If there is not a display where can I get an inexpensive one that plugs into the OBD port??
Old December 12th, 2010, 7:18 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You may be able to add the "DIC" or Driver Information Center button to your truck...check GM parts direct for the part....
Old December 12th, 2010, 7:21 PM
Administrator

Here is a description of the DIC functions...

Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1671056
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver Information Center (DIC) Description and Operation
The driver information center (DIC) displays DIC WOW for 5 seconds when it first powers up. If enabled through Personalization, the DIC then returns to the last display status before no power condition.

There are 4 switch functions for the DIC.

• Personalization

• Set/Reset

• Trip/Fuel

• Vehicle Info

Trip/Fuel
The Trip/Fuel switch is used to navigate between vehicle information parameters. Cycle through the following vehicle parameters by successive pressing of the Trip/Fuel switch

• Average Fuel Economy (AFE)

• Fuel Range

• Fuel Used

• Instantaneous Fuel Economy (IFE)/Active Fuel Management (Displacement on Demand (DOD))

• Odometer

• Trans Temp

• Trip Odometer

• Trip Time

• Blank

Vehicle Info
The Vehicle Info switch is used to navigate between vehicle information parameters. Cycle through the following vehicle parameters by successive pressing of the Vehicle Info switch.

• Blank Display

• English/Metric Units

• Key Fob Programming Menu

• Left Front Tire Pressure

• Left Rear Tire Pressure

• Oil Life Index (OLI)

• Right Front Tire Pressure

• Right Rear Tire Pressure

• Tire Programming Menu

• Engine Hours

Personalization
The Personalization switch is used to set personalization features for both the vehicle and the driver. Many of the parameters in the Trip/Fuel menu and the Vehicle Info menu can be programmed through the Personalization switch. In addition to the parameters in the Trip/Fuel and Vehicle Info menus, the following features can also be programmed.

• Approach Lighting

• Automatic Door Lock

• Automatic Door Unlock

• Chime Volume

• Delayed Door Lock

• Display Language

• Easy Exit Seat

• Exit Lighting

• Memory Seat Recall

• Remote Door Lock

• Remote Door Unlock

• Remote Start

• Park Tilt Mirrors

• Smart High Beams

Average Fuel Economy
Average fuel economy is calculated using the equation: AFE = Distance/Fuel

• Distance = The accumulated distance travelled since the last reset of this value

• Fuel = The accumulated fuel consumption since the last reset of this value

The engine control module (ECM) sends the average fuel economy serial data message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). The value of this mode is retained during ignition OFF and can be changed between English units and metric units by selecting from the driver information center (DIC) options menu.

Oil Life Remaining
The ECM sends the oil life remaining percentage to the IPC via a serial data message. The instrument panel cluster receives a serial data message indicating the engine oil life remaining. The DIC displays the current percentage of the GM Oil Life System as determined by the ECM. When the oil life remaining percentage drops below 5 percent, the DIC displays CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON. When the engine oil is changed, reset the GM Oil Life System. Refer to GM Oil Life System Resetting.

Fuel Range
This message indicates the estimated distance that the vehicle can travel under the current fuel economy and fuel level conditions since the last battery connection to the IPC. Fuel Range is calculated using the equation: Fuel Range = Range Distance/Range Fuel Used.

• Range Distance = The accumulated distance travelled since the last reset of this value.

• Fuel Used = The accumulated fuel delivered since the last reset of this value

The ECM sends the fuel range value to the IPC. The IPC receives a serial data message with the fuel information. The fuel range value is retained during ignition OFF and can be changed between English and Metric units by accessing the DIC English/Metric menu. The Fuel Range display cannot be reset. LOW is displayed when fuel range is below a predetermined value.

Fuel Used
The DIC calculates and displays the total amount of fuel used since the last reset operation. You can reset the fuel used mode by depressing and holding the Set/Reset button for more than 3 seconds. The value of this mode is retained during ignition OFF.

Instantaneous Fuel Economy (IFE)
Instantaneous fuel economy (IFE) is calculated using the equation: IFE = Distance/Fuel Used.

• Distance = The accumulated distance travelled for the last 2 seconds

• Fuel = The accumulated fuel delivered for the last 2 seconds

The IPC receives a serial data message from the ECM. The distance information is calculated by the IPC using the vehicle speed information from the ECM. These values are retained during ignition OFF and can be changed between English and Metric units accessing the DIC English/Metric menu. The IFE display cannot be reset.

Tire Pressure Monitor
The IPC receives a serial data message from the tire pressure monitoring (TPM) system for front and rear tire pressure data. The DIC will display the pressure for each of the front and rear tires. When a tire with low air pressure is present, the DIC displays XXXX XXXX TIRE PRESSURE LOW.

Trip Time
The timer records elapsed time starting from activation. When the DIC displays the timer, pressing the Set/Reset switch for 1 second on the DIC resets the timer. Pressing the Set/Reset button on the DIC switch for approximately 1 second starts and stops the timer. The DIC displays the timer in one of the following formats:

The DIC displays the timer in the following format: XX: XX:XX:

The first XX represents hours elapsed, the second XX represents minutes elapsed, and the third XX represents seconds elapsed. The maximum range of the timer is 99 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds. After the maximum range is reached, the timer displays all zeros (00:00:00).

Park Assist Menu
The park assist menu is displayed in the DIC. The DIC displays the current state of the park assist until the IPC receives a message indicating otherwise. The DIC displays (-- -- --) when communication with park assist is lost.

English/Metric
The English/Metric mode is used to toggle between English and Metric units and can be accessed through the DIC Vehicle Info switch.

Trip Odometer
The trip odometer can be accessed through the DIC Trip/Fuel switch function. The trip odometer shows the current distance traveled in either miles or kilometers since the last reset of the trip odometer. The trip odometer can be reset to zero by pressing the set/reset button while the trip odometer is displayed.

The trip odometer has a feature called the retro-active reset. This can be used to set the trip odometer to the number of miles (kilometers) driven since the ignition was last turned on. This can be used if the trip odometer is not reset at the beginning of the trip.

To use the retro-active reset feature, press and hold the set/reset button for at least four seconds. The trip odometer will display the number of miles (mi) or kilometers (km) driven since the ignition was last turned on and the vehicle was moving. Once the vehicle begins moving, the trip odometer will accumulate mileage.

Trip Display DIC Trip Display
Range

Metric
English

ODOMETER
######km
######MI

TRIP ODOMETER
####.#km
####.#MI

Language
The DIC is capable of displaying in 8 languages

• English

• German

• Italian

• French

• Spanish

• Arabic

• Chinese

• Korean
© 2010 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have the classic body style, so I am told it has to go on the steering wheel. Is this true??
Old December 13th, 2010, 7:31 PM
Administrator

I don't think the DIC was available for the "Classic"
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it was available on the classic, but it is on the steering wheel, being that said I don't think you can add it to your truck if it didn't come with it.
Old December 14th, 2010, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUETRANPA
yes it was available on the classic, but it is on the steering wheel, being that said I don't think you can add it to your truck if it didn't come with it.
i was actually told you can. all you have to do is get the sterring wheel and cluster for the DIC. and get the BCM re programmed or something like that. i will do some further reading aswell since i am looking to do the same thing.

Last edited by blaze_32001; December 14th, 2010 at 7:39 PM.
Old September 6th, 2014, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Making DIC fully functional

I had a 2003 Avalanche that I added 4 momentary push button switches on the Dash and made the DIC fully functional. Each of the switches had one side going to ground and the other side going to one of the wires going to the Instrument Cluster.
I can't find the wiring diagram and need to make this mod to a 2007 silverado LT classic. Does anyone still have the wiring diagram?
Old December 24th, 2020, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default how do you pull up mileage 0n a 2007 Chevrolet 2500 has engine

Originally Posted by tcr1016
Is there a way to display my current MPG on a display by pushing a button on the dash??? I would like to see my MPG for long trips. I tried pushing the button on the end of the wiper arm, but nothing happened.

If there is not a display where can I get an inexpensive one that plugs into the OBD port??
not one that plug in the on on the dash

​​​​​​

Last edited by Jonathan Bruno; December 24th, 2020 at 8:02 PM. Reason: I put had instead of gas