Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mushy brakes

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2010, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mushy brakes

Well I have an 88 chevy cheyanne and the brakes seem to be going south. I have to pump the brakes to get a feel for the brakes takeing effect. I checked out the brake fluid, since I inherited the truck and it is black. I am guessing that it is not supposed to be that color. I am not the most mechanical person in the world and am wondering if I can change the fluid myself or if it needs more done. Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old February 4th, 2010, 5:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had it done, but a brake system flush would be in order, I've never haqd a truck long enough to do it. I wouldn't think it would cost to much. You could bleed the brakes, that should help alot.
Old February 4th, 2010, 5:03 PM
CF Active Member

Fluid needs to be changed, and sounds like the master cylinder is going out.

Last edited by cam3439; February 4th, 2010 at 5:08 PM.
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

I think I will start by replaceing the old black brake fluid. Does anyone know the quickest way. Is there a drain at the master cylender or do i have to drain it from a brake?
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm not genious, but i THINIK you have to bleed it from the brakes to drain all of the brake fluid out to replace it. someone corect me if im wrong though.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
CF Active Member

You're right. You have to drain the fluid from the back right, then back left, then front right, and finally front left (from the bleeders on the calipers). This is the usual process, but sometimes varies from vehicle to vehicle (look it up in your manual). Make sure to never let the fluid completely drain out of the master cylinder reservoir as you do this or you'll get air inside of the system and will have to do the whole process again in order to take the air back out.

If you're doing this the old fashion way then you'll need two people, one to push on the brake pedal as the other releases the bleeder valve for fluid to be released. The person inside will have to pump the brake as the person outside releases the bleeder for fluid to flow out. Once the fluid slows down (which will happen fairly quickly), the person outside must close the bleeder so that air doesn't go into the system. The person inside should feel the pedal loosen and hit the floor (doesn't have to go all the way down, but close to it). Do this to each caliper/bleeder until the fluid comes out clean and clear then you should be done.

You can also get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Gear-01.../dp/B000TYJEWW

which will put less stress and wear on your master cylinder. The only thing is that this systems are really only for bleeding brake systems and if you're only doing this once or twice then just do it the old fashion way.

Last edited by cam3439; February 5th, 2010 at 12:12 PM.