Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my speedometer doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my speedometer doesnt work

its a 2003 1500,does anyone know what can be wrong with it, and how it can be fixed.i hope someone knows its driving me crazy
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: my speedometer doesnt work

I would suggest checking the vehicle speed sensor, it's located on the tailshaft of the transmission. I have a 94 k1500 and mine went out, but that also cuased the transmission to act up as well, so you might be better off checking the wires that connect to the back of the speedo
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
CF Junior Member

i changed the sensor not long ago thinking it would fix tha problem but it didnt do anything.it still doesnt work
Old January 8th, 2008, 3:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's likely the stepper motor that drives the guage. Is it just dead and never coming of zero?
Old January 8th, 2008, 5:09 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah thats where its always at id oesnt move at all
Old January 8th, 2008, 5:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the gauges in the GM instrument panels are driven by stepper motors these days. They tend to fail. It's the subject of at least one lawsuit.

Check into getting the speedometer stepper motor replaced. If you feel up to it, you can get the motors and put them in yourself. There are always motors for auction on eBay. Here's one that's up there now for a full set or for replacement services:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...spagenameZWDVW

Or you may be able to find someone locally to do the repair for you. The other option is to have the instrument panel replaced at 700-800 bucks.
Old January 9th, 2008, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Are you the original owner of the truck? GM is sending out letters to either cover the repair or remburse for prior repairs. I got my letter last week.
Here is the main part of the letter:
This letter is intended to make you aware that your vehicle could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and the fuel gauge.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has this condition.

General Motors is providing owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your Chevrolet Suburban within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. If you believe your vehicle has this condition, contact your Chevrolet dealer to schedule an appointment at a time that it convenient for you. Your dealer will inspect the vehicle and if the condition is found, your dealer will replace the instrument panel cluster.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer of the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00 MA and 11:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday. They can be reached at 1.800.630.2438. The deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired should call TTY 1.800.833.2438.
Old January 10th, 2008, 2:11 PM
CF Junior Member

no im not the original owner so i think that it wouldnt apply to me...thanks for the help guys
Old January 10th, 2008, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem on mine.
Cept my truck is way older and what I did to fix it was take the dash apart disconnecting the speedometer and bending the prongs for better contact.
All fixed
Old January 13th, 2008, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

It doesnt matter if your not the first owner.