Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

need help please

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2009, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help please

not sure whats going on. i have a clunking in the front end seems to be drivers side to middle of vehicle. it clunks going over bumps at slow speeds and sometimes while stopping or taking off from stopped. i know it isnt suspension (just replaced), upper or lower ball joints (either side), tie rod or tie rod ends (either side), steering related, sway bar or bushings, or wheel bearing. anyone have any ideas???? its getting slowly worse. has been clunking durring slow tight right hand turns for a couple months and over bumps for a week or so. no shaking at highway speeds or death wobble. it actually drives smooth at highway speeds but does want to get a little loose over larger high speed bumps. need to go on 300 mile or so trip before i can get it fixed any danger?
Old August 28th, 2009, 5:24 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

In most cases its the intermediate steering shaft. Its a very commom problem with Chevys these days. Its an easy fix and usually less than $100 for the part.
Old August 28th, 2009, 6:07 PM
CF Active Member

how about a torsion bar??? that could be bad if your truck has one
Old August 28th, 2009, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

its a 2wd so no torsion. the drivers side spring is getting weak and at first i was thinking maybe it was hitting the bump stop? but that doesnt explain the stopping and going. i though of the steering shaft as i know chevy has a problem with these the only thing i was wondering about is i dont feel it in the steering wheel. however i dont hear it outside the vehicle only in the cab. can you still get the lube kits for the shaft or is it replace only? i have heard both ways. i have had this truck for 5 months and stuff started going all to hell at 100k. got a annoying tick in the motor that drives me freakin nuts, had to replace all shocks, and now this. i drove a s-10 for 5 years and put less than a thousand into it. im already over 200 in 5 months with this truck.
Old August 28th, 2009, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Id try the lubrication of the ISS first if it were me. Both my Chevys did the clunking thing, I ignored it since it was a non critical problem, eventually it just went away, strangely. My Tahoe does it every now and then still. I never felt it in the steering wheel either and the dealer verified for me that it was indeed the ISS shaft. I am not 100% sure its your ISS but all the symptoms you posted point to it.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; August 28th, 2009 at 8:33 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the help. its a 02 anything else i can expect to go wrong?? haha. these trucks sure arent built to last any more. we have a 79 f-150 that has had the starter replaced and carb rebuilt. thats it in 30 years besides usual maintanence.
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

No prob at all from my end, keep us updated if you get it repaired.
Old August 29th, 2009, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

another thing i noticed is that it seems to be worse when cold. once driven for a while it doesnt seem to clunk as much. does this fit with the ISS as well?
Old August 29th, 2009, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

It could,that makes sense, when it gets warm/hot it expands making a tighter connection. I never really paid that much attention to mine when it did it.
Old August 29th, 2009, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

haha i notice everything. im very very picky about my vehicles. this truck has never seen snow and looks like it just came off the lot brand new. i notice everything that is wrong. even my 79 ford is mint and thats my winter vehicle. well thank you again for the help.

Quick Reply: need help please