Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new and looking for a truck

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2007, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new and looking for a truck

So, my little POS hyundai accent is finally to the point of costing more to repair than it is worth, and I'm in the market for a truck. I was always brought up in "ford" families, meaning that anything that does not have f-x50 is not a real truck. Personally, I do not like the new look of the f-150's, and after playing around in a brand new silverado, I'm in love. I cannot afford a shiny new payment, so I'm looking for a cheap, low milage 4x4 with reg cab and 8 ft bed.

First, are there any common problems with chevy trucks? Anything to look for when buying used?

Secondly, I fell in love with how the truck looks, but what makes it better than ford / dodge? This question may be biased in here, but it can be helpful.

Third, my budget is MAX $15,000, but I would prefer to go cheaper. It seems that at this price point, my best options are 03-04's with 60-80K miles on them. What is a typical age / milage these trucks get before needing "special attention" and constant repairs. (I know taking care of it will help it along, but I'm talking about the silverado's overal quality)

My 2001 Hyunai accent has 113,000 miles on it, and shortly after hitting the warrentie's 100,000 mile mark, things started going wrong (crankshaft position sensor, CV joint, bearings, etc). If I can only afford a truck with 60K on it, will it get me though say 150K without major problems.

I do my own oil changes and basic preventative maintenence, and I am learning more about car repair each day (to save $$$ and have things done right) Sorry for the long post, but I love car forums because of the real world user knowledge, both good and bad. I appreciate any insight and thank you for your time.

-Todd
Old July 26th, 2007, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: new and looking for a truck

I guess the silverado must be the most neutral truck on the market... nothing usually goes wrong and there is nothing to make it better?

Maybe a little bump will intice some responses to make me a believer. Thank!
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: truss64130

I guess the silverado must be the most neutral truck on the market... nothing usually goes wrong and there is nothing to make it better?

Maybe a little bump will intice some responses to make me a believer. Thank!
I agree completely, I was raised Ford also but I have to hand it to Chevy their trucks look better and im not sure about the 02s-04s but the older ones are a lot cheaper to fix. i mean you can turn around and trip on a 350 motor almost any day. my cousin recently had a brand new 454 crate motor shipped in for right under $3k for his GMC 2500. although, i must say ive seen more chevy motors blow than any other make but i guess thats just because thats what i've had around recently.... like he said, just a neutral truck.
Old July 28th, 2007, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

it all depends on how good of a buy you find.. if it's been well taken care of and serviced well then you can find one with 60000+ miles that will last you another 90000. You've gotta keep taking care of it, of course. I have a '98 with a 4.3 and 5 spd, and yeah... i've got to agree that parts are much cheaper on chevies and it seems the '98 and older (and the '99 silverado Classic) parts are cheaper still. The only thing I can think of at the moment for which these trucks are notorious for is coolant leaks at the intake seal specifically on the 4.3s and the 5.7 v8's. Also the oil cooler lines on the 4.3's seem to be notorious for leaking. If you go with a 5.7 or 4.3, look for one that has had the intake resealed already and you shouldn't have any problems with it again for another 50-100,000 miles. The oil cooler lines are around $80 I think and are a snap to fix.. the intake job, if you do have to perform, is not all that difficult, either.. especially with a little help. If your dealership has a reputable service department then I would definitely consider a powertrain extended warranty, also. A lot of the repairs on these trucks are simple but require a Tech II computer to plug in and reprogram or check for codes...
Old July 31st, 2007, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

That is the type of answer I'm looking for. Thanks for the info. I am really interested in the silverado, but if a ford shows up with the right milage and price, I would bite. The chevy does look much better in my opinion inside and out. I'm also starting to lean towards an extended cab with the 6 foot box. Like I said, when the right truck for the right money appears, I'll know.

Thanks again.
-Todd
Old August 1st, 2007, 5:59 PM
CF Senior Member

I have a 96 cab n half short box I bought in July of 03 with 50,400 and something miles on it. I rolled 130,000 this July. The only big things I have had go wrong with mine is the Alternator and the fuel pump went out. I have changed the plugs and all that. That one is a 1/2 ton with a 5.7 that I have used to pull several cars on car dollys my 5x8 cargo trailer and a 49 Ford, 68 Dodge, and an 84 Dodge on a 16 foot car trailer. All 3 are 1/2 tons too. It pulls them good, its just a little much on big hills going 75. It still starts every day and runs great.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Another question. As I'm looking at trucks, I found a really low milage and low price for a v6 1500. In all of your opinion, would it be a mistake to go with a v6 and not a v8? I do not plan on towing anything major (maybe a small boat in the future), but I do plan onbed-fulls of stone or mulch. Thanks for your input!
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

I own an 02 Silverado with the 5.3L V8. It had 50k miles on it when I bought it in July of 03, I have 145k on it now and only had to replace brakes & front wheel hubs. I probably wouldn't have to replace those either, but I put a 6" lift and run 35" tires. They were probably the reason I had to do the work I did.

I traded in my 2000 F-150 5.7L Triton for my Silverado & it was BY FAR an upgrade. The Chevy interior is much nicer & the seats are much more comfortable. The Chevy 5.3L Vortec is much stronger than the Triton.

I have owned a few Fords over the years & am now converted to a full blown Chevy lover. You won't regret the change.
Old August 28th, 2007, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

In my opinion, you cant go wrong with a 4.3 chev motor, my wife had one in her 89' s-10 i sold it with 256,000 miles, and never had anything major wrong with it, i think we put a heater core in it, lol, i bought a 98' s-10 just sold it for 4500$ with 114,000 miles, again no trouble, biggest repair was a windsheildwiper motor, well I needed a truck to pull my new 18ft toyhauler, so i just bought a new body style Silverado with 5.3 and love it, oh yeah I have used Fords in my landscapeing business for 20+ years a 74' f-350, 90'f-250 and now a 02' f-350, they have gotton progressively bad and after the 02' I will never give ford another cent of my hard earned money!