Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

oil pan leak problems

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan leak problems

i have a chevy 350 that i got out of a 1990 silverado and i rebuilt the engine and put it in my jeep and once i heated the engine up for the first time at normal operating temps it started leaking oil around the pan seal and i would leak a quart in about a month. i was wondering if you guys had a problem like this or not. i had started with the one piece pan seal and it leaked so i replaced it with the same thing and it leaked also. I tried rtving the whole thing and it leaked still but not as much. what are your thoughts?
Old June 17th, 2011, 8:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the bolt holes have been pulled from over tightening. I always lay the pan on a flat serface and pund them down.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

I just got my 1990 silverado repaired....I thought is was the oil pan seal, but it was actually the seal (timing chain seal above the pan) that had been leaking.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

i dont think its the bolt holes bc it looked flat to me when it was sitting on the floor in my garage and it also has a metal strip that goes in between the pan and the head of the bolts. idk if that helps prevent that problem or not. and its not leaking from the timing cover bc we pulled the engine out and the only spot that it is coming from is the pan and the main isnt even leaking either. do you think that the wrong kind of flow of vaccume through the crankcase could cause this too by forcing the oil out?