Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

performance tuning

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2010, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance tuning

Hey i have a 2005 Z71 with the 5.3 LM7. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get a tune done. i live in the houston tx area, does anyone knows of a place around here. i thought of a hand held programmer but i dont think that will be as good of a gain then a tune. or and one have ideas. thanks
Old June 12th, 2010, 7:16 PM
CF Active Member

Nelson performance is in tx somewhere, he is ok. but i prefer blackbear performance. ive had pcm tunes done by both of them and was more impressed with justin @ blackbear.

all handhelds are junk for performance.
Old June 12th, 2010, 8:46 PM
CF Active Member

I hear that black bear is the best!
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i live right outside of houston and have heard of a couple of places to get tunes...none as big of names as blackbear or nelson but have rode around in the trucks that they have tuned and they did an excellent job
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

thanks everone. i was thinking about the black bear tune or the in car tune arould here some where. im not sure which one would be better
Old June 15th, 2010, 8:48 AM
CF Active Member

if you are mostly stock, IE just intake, muffler swap, justin's cable tune is pretty damn good, you might eek out another hp or 2 from an in person tune, but depending on price, it might not be worth it.

I know wheatly is also in TX somewhere and he seems to have a good rep.

id go with 80% TM removed from the trans, 100% removed from the engine, i would also look into getting a corvette servo and maybe the 4th gear billet servo, will help your shifting out.
Old June 15th, 2010, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

If you are interested in a traditional mail order tune, the price will be $200 for the tune and $60 for the PCM core charge, which would be refunded when/if your stock PCM is returned this is the quickest way to do it through Blackbeartune.com and the only down time is waiting on your new pcm from them.
Just email Justing what you want done and your set
Old June 15th, 2010, 2:36 PM
4wd
CF Beginner

Lot's of talk about BB, you may think about Predator but it will be replaced by a new tuner called Intune..
Old June 15th, 2010, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi 4wd,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

If by "predator" you mean the Diablosport Predator handheld programmer, I would go with the BB tune, too. I got a Predator for a couple reasons, and noticed very little performance change by using their special "tunes".

They are great for reading trouble codes, and changing drivetrain parameters, like gear ratios and tire sizes, however.
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM
4wd
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi 4wd,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

If by "predator" you mean the Diablosport Predator handheld programmer, I would go with the BB tune, too. I got a Predator for a couple reasons, and noticed very little performance change by using their special "tunes".

They are great for reading trouble codes, and changing drivetrain parameters, like gear ratios and tire sizes, however.
Thanks, yes I mean Diablosport Predator handheld programmer, as you said I almost read the same comment about the handheld in all forums like this..but what if you are not close to BB or the others...I also understand that you can tune the long term fuel trim using the predator logging feature and the guide in their website. They also have custom tunes through email, ...I wish BB have a handheld with good logging capability where you can send the log to BB and get the tune. As handhelds are built smarter they will be the way to go in the future no doubt, all it takes is having internet connectivity in the handheld (no need for laptop) and connecting with the tuner real-time...I hear that dealers can hook your PCM to GM through satellite!

Anyway,,,I already talked with BB and might get some arrangement to do it remotely but I don't like the module switch thing, the skill of the person doing the tune is what count at the end of the day.

Last edited by 4wd; June 16th, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: performance tuning