Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 4th, 2015, 6:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Pinhole Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2013, 5:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by lackryaa
Yes, IIRC GM used to recommend their own DEX COOL, pretty sure they still do (for obvious reasons) but there are a lot of pages like these exposing dex cool for what it really is... This is just one of them, look them up and see if you agree with them... I sure do. There is a lot of brown mud build up and always wondered "Why the hell?"

For your viewing pleasure!
Dex-cool Contamination
Not defending or deflaming dexcool. I have a 2000 suburban 5.3 had dexcool original. It was serviced 2 years ago, coolent back with dexcool. Never had an issue with it. I have heard the plastic turkey tray in V8's had issues with dexcool, not with me.
Old February 12th, 2013, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing wrong with dex-cool. The problem lies in the owner with lack of maintenance. Regardless of what people think dex-cool in not good for 5 years or 150k unless you live in a perfect world. If it is maintained like normal green coolant and leaks are taken care of as soon as they develop and the rad cap is replaced every 1-2 years you will have no problems.
Old February 12th, 2013, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I haven't had problems with dex cool but I just have to wonder if that is what caused the gasket to spring a leak.

Let's get back on track. What should I replace while I've got all the crap out of the way? I just looked at a water pump from GMPartsDirect and it's $189 for a water pump? I want good quality as much as the next guy but this seems like it's been marked WAY up. I was expecting around $70 or so for an OEM pump. Where can I get OEM that won't be marked up like crazy?
Old February 12th, 2013, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Unless your really stuck on using OEM parts, I would check out NAPA or the other parts stores, just stay away from auto zone. Also do the thermostat when you replace the water pump. I would stick with the coolant that came with the vehicle. I have never had a problem with dex-cool. Its your vehicle, but I would stick with what it came with.
Old February 13th, 2013, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Napa has a good price and a warranty for their pump so I'm going with that.

They have the felpro gaskets too, but two different sets. One with and one without valve cover gaskets.

Would it be worthwhile to do the valve cover gaskets? I don't see the need unless there's a problem with gasket deterioration that I don't know about? It's $39 vs $89

Please reply asap going to buy after work today.
Old February 13th, 2013, 3:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Wow thanks for letting me know that, I read the whole article and I am very surprised
Old February 14th, 2013, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

If your valve cover gaskets arent leaking, I wouldnt worry about changing them. They are easy enough to do, without removing the intake. Save yourself some money for now, unless they are leaking.