Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator trouble

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator trouble

So this weekend I was driving along on my way home from seeing a movie and the temp on the truck started to warm up. I was only half a mile away and it didn't go much over 210 but I knew something was wrong. So I stop at my house and pop the hood. I see a leak on the radiator kind of where the plastic end of the radiator connects to the metal air fins and whatever you call it. This is the second chevy in the past three months that I have been driving that this has happened to. The exact same spot and everything. On the last vehicle, the stop leak stuff worked for about a day, then the leak steadly got worse until I got a new radiator two weeks later. So at least I know what to expect, but my question is: Is this a normal problem of 1996-1998 chevy's or what? So far I'm battin a thousand on radiator replacements.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is cracked there to and i have a minor leak been like that for 2 years and no overheating though
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
CF Active Member

well I have a feeling my leak has been there for a few weeks or maybe more than a month because it doesn't leak very much. My radiator didn't leak enough for me to have to put more in the radiator or the resevoir yet and it's been three days and 200 miles so I think it's not too bad yet. Do you have the plastic/metal hybrid like I do or is yours all metal? I can get a new radiator off Rockauto for about 130. A smaller one that was for my blazer was 160 so I guess the size for my truck is more common or something. It's not a big deal since it's so cheap, but I haven't been paid in like a month (got the checks, they're just very hot) so my money situation is very tight. I hate working for a family business. They will screw you if they get the chance.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

mines all metal it started cracking for no reason and leaks a little whats your family buisness?
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:14 PM
CF Active Member

Well you're the lucky one the all metal kind stands up better. My crappy plastic kind will just keep cracking and get worse. My family runs a logging business. My great aunt likes to take money out of the company's account so she can pay for her sons to sit at home and do nothing. My bills don't get paid, I don't get paid, I work everyday that I'm not at school. They do nothing, they sit at home all day, they get their house paid for and they get their bills paid. My grandpa runs the business but he never believes his sister would ever do something like that. She just tells him they are running out of money and can't pay anyone. Did I mention they spend $10k a week for my great uncle rebuild 1950s and 1960s tractors? Of course it isn't too bad of an idea if you realise the tractors get 10k put into them then people offer 50-70k for them. Only problem with that is my great aunt and uncle don't sell the tractors. They hoard them, all in mint-like condition in a barn. He's working on his 6th one as of now, with my pay check I bet!
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

hah that sucks my family owns a logging buisness in northern michigan (Doyles) I dont work for them though i have no money either man i live on my own and go to college so i am poor
Old May 5th, 2009, 8:23 AM
CF Active Member

OMG you better not be 5'9" with brown hair!
Old May 5th, 2009, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Not to brake up the affair here but try loosining the radiator cap so it cant build pressure,Should buy you some time.
Old May 5th, 2009, 4:10 PM
Super Moderator

no 6 ft with brown hair
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can try resizing to a larger radiator at a junkyard-bring your old one with you. You could wind up with a larger one for less than you pay for a regular sized one a parts store.

Quick Reply: Radiator trouble