Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ran my MIF dry

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2014, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran my MIF dry

I put crate motor (5.7L 350) into my 98 Chevy K1500 Z71 Silverado. I has some issues with my fuel pump before new engine and replaced, but for some reason I never got a reading on fuel gauge...but that's irrelevant to what I did last night.

I believe I was out of gas when I stopped at the school to get my kid, after signing her off I got in turned the key, and it just cranked. Never had any issues with it with less than 20K on motor. I did switch from CSFI to MFI injection after new motor...but I believe I ran it dry. Tried a few tries cranking, and got nothing. I went and got a gallon of gas and tried again...but so much cranking ran battery down and ended up towing back to my home. I get a strong gasoline odor after cranking, but engine not even acting like its getting fuel. I could have bad coil, but haven't gotten home yet to check. Is there a way to "goose" my injectors with some fuel to get them to draw or should I put in throttle body? I am at a loss because something isn't allowing fuel into my injectors. Maybe a gallon wasn't enough, so I plan on putting a couple more gallons in, but my OBDII diagnostic reader was giving me a P0440 code, which is an EVAP issue. that does include fuel lines, gas cap, purge can, etc. so I just wanted to know if anyone has run theirs dry and if the MFI is just that much harder to get fuel going than the CSFI