Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brakes

i have a 2000 1500 with only 27000 miles on it and the rear brakes are shoot, the caliper frooze and the pads are gone, the rotors are so rusted out i cant see how they are still together. so i bought new rotors and pads from ssbp and 2 new calipers from an auto parts store. i replaced them and cant get the lines bled. ive run about a quart of dot 3through both sides and i can still hear air coming out of the bleeder valve and the brakeis soft as can be. i replaced the 2 copper seals on the inlet lines and its not leaking or sucking in air from there, and i dont think its the master cylinder. any replies would graetly help. thanks jim
Old July 18th, 2007, 7:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rear brakes

It may depend if the new calipers were pre-loaded with brake fluid when they were installed. If they weren't that's probably where the air is coming from and now you likely have air in the front brakes as well.

Hopefully you remember that the brakes are plumbed in tandem. So the bleeding process has to be done in an X fashion... right rear with left front and left rear with right front.

You will likely go through a lot of new brake fluid until it's complete... but the bright side is you will have basically flushed most of the old fluid which is a good thing.