Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Silverado brake jolt

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2008, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado brake jolt

I recently bought an 07 Silverado and am experiencing a jolting feel coming from the rear of the truck when I come to a complete stop and let off the brake to accelerate. I'm not mechanically inclined and would really appreciate some help. Thanks.
Old October 27th, 2008, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Silverado brake jolt

I know exactly what you're talking about. I just had my '07 Silverado LTZ in for the 2nd time. There is a bulletin out for this - it's the torque converter (or something like that) that has to be re-greased. The first time, they did this they said it may not last forever and I may have to come back. Sure enough, about 6-8 months later it started again. Just last week I took it in and they now have a new type of grease they said should fix the problem permanently. We'll see. Just take it by the dealership and tell them what it's doing and remind them there's a bulletin out on it and you want the new grease that's out to fix it. I also noticed a substantial improvement in the ride and smoothness of the truck after they did it. They did mine in half a day. Hope this helps.
Old October 27th, 2008, 4:47 PM
CF Active Member

Dont panic. Your driveline is sticking as it flexes in and out of the transmission tail. It has to be greased real good. A transmission shop done mine for about $20.00. Hasn't done it since. I advise against a dealer. Go to someone who deals in drivetrains/transmissions only. These guys I went to knew exactly what I was talking about describing the same thing and my truck is a 92. They do it from 88 on up. When you stop there has to some degree of flexability between the rear and and transmission thats why it moves. Get it lubed up.
Old October 27th, 2008, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info and advice. I called my Chevy dealer today and he said that he had never heard of that type problem. He told me to bring it in and they would take a look at it for $35... If left untreated, would this problem lead to bigger ones down the road?
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
CF Active Member

Mine drove me ape "stuff" for a year before I decided to do something about it. At that time there were no damaged parts. I would highly recomend a transmission shop over a dealer, unless you are dead set on the dealer. Basicly they just take the driveline off by removing the rear u-joint and sliding the line out, greasing it, and reinserting it into the transmission tail, 30 minutes tops. I'm just seriously afraid that a dealer is going to fill you full of nine kinds of "it" to sell you something.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
CF Active Member

Google "Driveline Clunk" and see what you get. It will pull many a story on your problem.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
CF Active Member

Here it is right here, I found the best explanation for it.
http://www.misterfixit.com/clunk.htm
Old October 28th, 2008, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the useful advice. I'm glad it's not a big problem and I'll probably steer clear of the dealer anyway...considering they sold me the truck with that flaw. Have a good one.
Old October 29th, 2008, 4:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer knew exactly what the problem was because they got the bulletin on it. Since my truck is still in warranty, I didn't pay a cent and they didn't try to sell me anything. Since GM has come out with a new type of grease, I would try to find a different dealer that's more up on what's going on. Plus, unless you've already hit 75,000 miles with an 07, you won't have to pay anything.
Old October 29th, 2008, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

No charge? You're speaking my language! Do you know if that bulletin is accessible online or anywhere else? I would really like to check it out and have a hard copy to show my dealer who pleads ignorance...Thanks.

Quick Reply: Silverado brake jolt