Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado LS3 Swap - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2010, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado LS3 Swap - Need Help!

I've got a 1999 Silverado (new body style) standard cab/long box with a Gen III LR4 4.8L Vortec engine. It's tired = 300,000kms (180,000miles) and I'm looking to swap in a LS376/480 engine and a 4L85-E Hydra-matic four speed from the '08 'Vette.
I've been told by one vendor that I have a 3% chance of this working out while other guys have said I'll just need a corvette main ECU to connect the sensors and their pins of the corvette motor with the pins of my Silverado.
The main concensus is that the computer systems are too different and I'll most definitely have problems (ie: check engine light and certain functions will be disabled).
Does anyone here have any advice/experience with something like this? My truck is a custom rig from the looks and now it needs the powerplant to move it!
Thanks for any and all comments!
-Alan
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
CF Active Member

google ls motor swaps, there is a lot of info out there, and some of those olboys are good at what they do. It is dooable, just are you up to it, it aint easy to do your first one, it will take 4 times longer than the 2nd, abecause you are learning how to think outside the box. are you good at scheamatics and wiring? I just completed a '69 327, with 1986 TPI swap into my 1997 K1500 using the vortec ECM, it took me 5 months, and nearly wore out some of the bolts. Trial and error. you will need to gather information, and gather information, and gather information. plus spend hours studying wiring, and figuring out what you need and don't need. then getting it right.........the 2nd time, been there done that!!. most GM wiring is the same with a few little gotchas. I believe there are people that will do the wire harness build for you If you have the scratch. forge on, it is possable if you are up to the challenge.
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks very much for the response. I'm glad to hear you say it's possible. As far as I'm concerned anything is possible it's just a matter of how badly you want it!
This is my splurge truck so I'm not too concerned with the cost....well, within reason that is!
I'll have to do some more digging and try and find some more answers as to what exactly is involved.
Thanks again.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
CF Active Member

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
start here
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the engine is very possible to swap, if u plan on doing the swap yourself get familiar with what sensor is what, as for the trans, it is possible (anything is) but the trans on a corrvette is connected to the rearend physically, the engine sits by itself up front
Old October 30th, 2010, 8:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi SammiZook,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Not to mention the engines in Vettes are specifically cast to fit into the smaller Vette bodies.

Two problems there, the motormounts will probably have to be custom-made, and the smaller cast Vette engine may not be able to handle full-size truck weight and abuse, and will be more expensive to repair, because it is a rarer Vette mill.
Old October 30th, 2010, 9:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

therewolf is vary right on this, the vette engine isnt cammed to pull a lot of wieght either, why not try getting a 99 6.0L, buy a cam, cold air intake and headers and a computer re-program for your truck? it will be a direct bolt in, the sensors are the same and you can re-use your old computer, plus even with all the aftermarket parts it still should check in at less cash than an ls3 (you may even want to add more parts like a supercharger) and it is a fast easy in and out
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

i am thinking of putting a 4.8 out of a 2000 chevy into my 1979 k10, 4x4, 4speed. i found a clutch and flywheel kit, but really how much more modifiying would be done, i know ill need the wairing harness just not sure how much, to put a inline fuel pump in, and rig up the radiator. will the motor be better then stock 305, carb. im into the new fuel injection, thinking power and easy starts living in maine.