Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

silverado for a new driver

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2007, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado for a new driver

im turning 16 soon, and am looking at trucks for a first car.

i ride bmx bikes, so i want a truck that i can fit four bikes and four people in for trips out of state and things like that.

i cant decide between a silverado and a colorado, but im leaning towards a silverado because of the interior size and the overall better looks than the colorados.

i was at phillips chevy to look at trucks after driver's ed on tuesday, adn was looking at a 4x4 1500 NBS silverado crewcab short bed with the work truck package, and liked it alot.

my mom will buy me a new car, so id rather get a new silverado, but i'd get a used one if i can find a diesel silverado in good shape for under 20k.

im asking you to tell me how you like your silverados, and whether i should get a new one with the 4.8 or an older model with a duramax. i wont do much towing, but ive heard you can chip a diesel engine and get 30+ MPG out of it, which is my main reason for wanting a diesel, the other being the way they sound.

also, how are colorados? i might think about one if i can see one i like and if its a decent price.
Old December 20th, 2007, 8:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: silverado for a new driver

Yes you can chip the diesel and get good gas mileage, but remember diesel fuel needs additives in the winter, costs more than gas, and the diesel motors usually require more oil and bigger oil filters. Not that all of that isn't a problem, but if your like me and drive the hell out of your truck it will add up. And if you chip it, you prob won't get 30 mpg because you'll want to wind it out all the time and show off. I got a programmer for my truck, gas mileage would be better if I didn't race all the time and take off from intersections all the time. lol. Its fun tho. Remember, pick whichever would work for you. The new gen GM gas motors can be fun, especially if you use a programmer or a tune on them. And if you keep it tuned up and, well performance tuned, you can get up to 20mpg on a V8. The diesel would cost more but be cool to modify. You can squeeze alot of hp out of a diesel too.
Old December 20th, 2007, 2:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

diesel will kill on repairs, your looking at spending 20 grand that well here anyhow is a 6 year old high miler Dmax, I just sold a 02 wiht over 300,000km for 14 Grand, not something I wold givea 16 yera old kid....a mechanic bought it as it will need major work.....for me and you being 16, my 2 cnets as a parent I would get you the colorado...will haul 4 bikds and 4 people and you wont go all balistic on the power and wrap it around a pole....However....assuming you a responsible 16 year old ...and your concerned on gas milage.....the 4.8 wont necessarily get you better milage, it does not have the active fuel management..

between teh 4.8 and 5.3 there is no diff on the highway, actually the 5.3 does better on highway, an 1 MPG worse in town.....If you do ever tow the 5.3 will work better for you and better resale value....

as for the Dmax really you dont need it, its gonna kill you on maintence, consider a half ton oil change at 5 litres of oil now a Dmax at 15, thats over a hundred bucks for an oil change, and for one under 20 grand it will have high milage, so new injectors around 1500 bucks ot change, and god forbid you toast you 14 thousand dollar engine while chipping it.....or a 7 thousand dollar tranny....these are canadian prices but guessin engines are not much cheaper there.....

if you must get a full size, either basic crew with a 4.8 and 3.73 axles....or a 5.3 adn a couple options pay a bit more but worth it IMO...
Old December 20th, 2007, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah I really have to agree, there is no need to have a DMax. The diesels don'treally get the best mileage in the world either, they do get better thangas engines but really not worth the extra money.I've got a 2500HD Crewwith a 6.0L V8 and its killing me on mileage but I also need it for the power most of the time too. As far as the truck goes its the best truck I have ever bought. Predator makes a great programmer for GM trucks if you want to go that route.The 1/2 Ton's have plenty of room in the Crew cabs, and they really aren't to bad on gas. So if you want to stick with a full size I would deff. go with the 5.3 because its tested and true.
Old December 21st, 2007, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

ill probably end up with a gas.

i completely understand that its a full size truck and i cant go tearing around in it like it's a racecar.

on a side note, what is a good horn that sounds like the ones on big rigs?

i was thinking about a train horn, but i cant afford that, or the ticket that i could get for it.
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Ahhh! To be 16 again and be hell bent on raisin hell.
Old December 21st, 2007, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

haha.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

sounds like mom and dad are going to be footing a pretty good bill. My first ride was a 79 el-camino that me and my dad fixed up from junk. I took more pride in that car than any new truck.

I ALSO HAD 7 CHEERLEADERS IN THE FRONT OF THAT THING - AHH THE GOOD OL' DAYS
Old December 22nd, 2007, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

nah, just mom.

im trying to convince dad to help, but he probably wont pitch in a cent.
Old September 9th, 2009, 4:09 AM
CF Beginner

well the short box 5'5, i haven't drove a truck the 4.8l but my 2005 5.3l is awsome