Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

spare tire

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare tire

Hello all, new member & poster, I have a 2004 2500HD, is there any way I can lower the spare tire without the extension tools. I just bought the truck and just realized the tool kit didn't come with it. It has been a pain trying to find the kit thru chevy or a salvage yard. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi there, Cnwrails, welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I have the '04 2500HD. The last time I checked, the dealer wanted 239$ for that set, so I imagine it's even going to be rather rare at junkyards.

I had the same basic issue with my truck because the extensions wouldn't fit on the end of the spare tire lowering mechanism because my rear bumper had been hit a couple times.

1)Look under the bumper from the spot with the key-hole -( where the owners manual instructs you to insert the jack handle/extensions)- to the spot directly over the center of the spare tire.

2)You will see a black plastic tube.(the "guide" for the extension on a new truck, or one with a perfectly aligned rear bumper)

3)Gently remove that tube. Hey, screw it, RIP IT OUT.

4)Look at the point above the spare tire where the tube(used to) end. You will see the lowering mechanism for the spare tire. Looks like it's 3/8" square drive, 1/2", whatever.
Counter-clockwise to lower, clockwise to raise. You're welcome.

Another fun note, if you've got the original rims, more than likely they're the "E-rated" 80PSI 10-Ply- HD tires. Enjoy!
Old August 7th, 2009, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a long 3/8 extension and put it through the hole in the back of the truck ( where the original pole would go) and use a ratchet to raise and lower it. That is what I do at work rather the pull everything out of peoples trucks.
Old August 12th, 2009, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Smile spare

thanks everyone. I tried the 3/8" and 1/2", no workie. I made an adapter to lower it. Thanks for the inpute. I had this cheap stuff they use.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

What type of adapter did you make? I am having issues myself, thanks for any advice...