Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

spark plug wire help

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2006, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug wire help

i changed my wires on my truck 1996 chevy 1500 305 engine. i did not think that the way you wire in the plugs made a difference but i started to get a check engine light. well i pulled the code and it was P0303 which is a misfire on cylinder #3. well i pull the plug out and it was fouled the plugs are brand new and so is the cap and rotor. all acdelco oem. i cleaned the plug off and cleared the code and the CEL came back on. so next i swap the plug with the #1 cylinder and cleared the code again and back the CEL came on again. the truck is runing rough at idle or on a the road also. at idle about 900 rpms the engine runs bad before 900 and after it is fine. well next i swaped my wires #1 and #3 and the truck ran fine and i drove it around and no CEL. the only thing i notice is that the truck felt funny on take off but after that it was fine. i am think may because it has sat so long the more i drove it the better it ran. well next i change back the wires and sure enough the code came back on. i check the wires with a multimeter and #1 was 27.1 and #3 was 27.7. i dont know why this is but i was inform that wires need to be replaces exactly as they were first installed because of a magented field. the have to be in a criss cross pattern, not parrell to each other. well if any knows the exact wire route for my truck ( not firing order) please let me know.,
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: spark plug wire help

see what was said on the truck forum, i recognize your post
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:33 AM
CF Active Member

dude, i neevr heard of the wires going in a cris cross field, all i can think of is that the wires are nto hooked up right at the distributor
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a wire is routed parallel to another wire and current is sent down one of the wires, a voltage can be induced into the other wire. This happens because of the collapse of a magnetic field and works just like the primary and secondary windings of an old style ignition coil. For this reason it is best to route your plug wires so that they are not right next to each other. New wires should be routed through the factory wire holders and in the same way as the factory did it.