Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Suspension Lift Question(s) !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Suspension Lift Question(s) !!!!!

I have purchased a 1986 C-10 chevy truck and I'm looking to put a lift on it. I'm so confused about the difference between a suspension lift, body lift, or a leveling lift. I just need some veteran help. I would like to clear atleast 33"-35" tires.

Thank you!
Old August 4th, 2010, 1:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a suspension lift lifts the whole truck higher. the body lift lifts the body higher away from the frame and the leveling lift. lifts the front end to level it with the rear. a level kit will clear 33s but a full suspension lift will be needed to clear 35s good luck
Old August 4th, 2010, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks! That made everything clearer to me. Is it possible to do a body lift PLUS a leveling lift?
Old August 4th, 2010, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

and another thing i noticed was, I can't find anything higher than 3" in a body lift kit. Is that how high it goes? If so, is it possible to buy two 3" kits and make it a 6" body lift? If that makes any sense..
Thanks!
Old August 4th, 2010, 4:32 AM
CF Active Member

You can do a body lift and a suspension or leveling lift, absolutely.

Let me give you the skinny real quick:

A leveling lift: As s34n said, it levels the front of the truck with the back of the truck.
A body lift: Primarily for looks; doesn't improve offroading ability (minus tire fitment)
A suspension lift: Much better for offroad use, improves tire fitment, but is more expensive (but worth it).

As for combining two 3" body lift kits to make a 6" kit; I doubt it's possible, but if it is, I wouldn't recommend it. It just sounds like a very, very bad idea, safety wise.

If you only want to clear 35s, then a leveling kit ($60-120) and a body lift would do it. If the truck is going to be used offroad a lot, then a suspension lift is probably a better way to go.
Old August 4th, 2010, 2:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything higher then 3" body lift in the state of ohio is illegal...prob the same for any other state... do a 6" suspension and a 3" body.. i see alot of thucks that do this.. they look nice
Old August 4th, 2010, 3:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

on an 86 full size, a leveling kit is unnecessary as the truck sits level, or close to it. suspension lifts are easy and pretty cheap for these rigs. lift springs up front and springs in back, or you can use lift blocks in the back. you cannot use lift blocks on the front. as for combining body lifts, no, you cannot legally or safely combine them. raising the body that far off the frame without serious, serious modifications will have a negative effect on the vehicles center of gravity, as it will become extremely top heavy. and, as gotstylez stated, it is illegal in the states.

a 3" body or suspension lift will clear 33's fine, a 6" suspension lift will clear 35's. 6" suspension and a 3" body will clear 38's.
Old August 4th, 2010, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

I think I'll do what Blindsight said. BUT, can you refer me to a nice leveling kit brand that won't break my wallet?

I appreciate everyones help!
Old August 4th, 2010, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

maxxman, this might be a dumb question but what do you mean by "full size"?
Old August 4th, 2010, 4:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your c-10 is a full size truck, versus the s-10 being the smaller truck. C is designated 2wd, while K is 4wd.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lift Question(s) !!!!!