Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Underpowered Silverado with a Vortec 4.3L V6

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2010, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Underpowered Silverado with a Vortec 4.3L V6

Hi everyone,
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2WD, regular cab, long bed, with a stock 4.3L V6 with no upgrades or anything. Ever since I bought it used, the performance is poor. The engine runs smooth with no check engine lights or anything. I want to squeeze out more power, because the acceleration is something to be desired. Right now I'm the family laughing stock because I have the slowest truck. It'll pass another vehicle alright on the highway, but from a dead stop, I couldn't even get a chirp out of a wheel. I am not looking to do anything extreme, I'd probably screw something up if I were to dive deep into the engine. I could probably install a supercharger or something like that. I've heard of changing the exhaust, but not sure if it would help much. I'd appreciate any help so i can hopefully shut my brother up at least. Thanks, Jon
Old October 25th, 2010, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

the 4.3 in a full size Pickup is a joke on the buyer to say the least. No insult intended, just GM should be ashamed of that little manuver. the 5.0 wasn't much better. my advice would be pay it off and upgrade it or trade it for a V8 truck. see my 327 "Tuned Port Conversion"
here https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/tuned-port-conversion-34221/
it is way cool!!
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I noticed, It is my first truck. My first vehicle (also the vehicle before the truck) was a 91 Chevy Lumina which had a 3.1L in it. So I thought I knew everything about the truck after I did some homework, and I figured the 4.3L was big enough for it. I bought it at a private sale for about $5,000. It had about 117,000 miles on it when I got it. My father's Silverado has 240,000 miles on it, so I thought it was a good deal. Also my Chevy Lumina was dieing, so i needed something bad. At the time I was making long commutes to work so I wanted a somewhat fuel efficient truck.
Old October 26th, 2010, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

How about an engine replacement, how much of an undertaking would that be? If I were to replace it, what size engine should i get, 5.3L seems like a good balance between power and efficiency.
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
CF Junior Member

i 4.3-350 swap is almost plug and play the 4.3 is a 350 with the front two cylinders cut off. motor mounts and trans mounts are the same depending on the year you may even be able to use the same harness and computer
Old October 27th, 2010, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Swap in a 350 from a truck of the same era. A 5.3L would require modification and ecu and harness swap.
Old October 27th, 2010, 1:19 PM
CF Active Member

you can never make it a speed demon: it probably has a 3.42 differential, good for mpg but not too much power on takeoff, you could change to a 3.73 or 4.10 and that would give you more take off speed, would be easier than a motor change.

if you are not satisfied, just trade it for a 1500 with one of those 6.0 liter engines and you can go like a scalded dog.

however, it may not past many gas stations.
Old October 27th, 2010, 6:04 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by wellmax
you can never make it a speed demon: it probably has a 3.42 differential, good for mpg but not too much power on takeoff, you could change to a 3.73 or 4.10 and that would give you more take off speed, would be easier than a motor change.

if you are not satisfied, just trade it for a 1500 with one of those 6.0 liter engines and you can go like a scalded dog.

however, it may not past many gas stations.

I agree with Wellmax, change the rear axel for a friendlier ratio, 373 would be a good middle ground. fair millage and fair power out of the 4.3l. then start working towards a 350, trans, harness, and ECU out of same aera truck, for a complete weekend swap.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

How difficult is it trying to change the ratio? I have never done one before.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Seeing that we are talking about the engine, I don't know if it may be time to replace it soon anyway, but the engine oil likes to hideout somewhere in the engine. I had the engine oil light come on once a while ago and I checked the oil immediately, and it was almost bone dry. So I went and got 4 quarts of new oil and put it in. After driving for about 20 minutes, I stopped to check it again to see how it was doing. This time, the dip stick showed that there was something like 6-8 quarts in the engine . It's amazing I didn't blow any gaskets, because I had to drive it another 20 minutes to get back home where I could change my oil, again. I pulled the valve covers to see if the oil returns were plugged or something and they weren't. So for some reason oil is being hoarded somewhere. Every now and then I have to add another quart, but there are no visible leaks on the engine or frame, and no blue smoke. Oil pressure is normal. So maybe I may as well swap my 4.3L for a 350.

Quick Reply: Underpowered Silverado with a Vortec 4.3L V6