Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vehicle just sits still when put in drive?

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle just sits still when put in drive?

Yesterday I stopped at a stop sign and when I took back off it felt like the transmission slipped out of gear. I put it down in low and it started moving again and then shifted up to drive and made it home. Now in the yard when I put it in drive it want move, 2nd either. When I drop it to low1 it will move but I haven't drove it anymore to see if it will shift to 2nd or drive. It will also move in reverse. When in Drive or 2nd it just sits there? Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.
By the way this is a 83 silverado with 181k miles ona 305 v8
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Vehicle just sits still when put in drive?

It sounds like the transmission is going to have to be rebuilt. I am assuming it is full of fluid.

Good Luck, Dondobe
Old June 4th, 2007, 9:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Check the transmisison fluid. If it is black or smells bad, then get the checkbook out.

Drop the transmisison pan and see if there are any metal pieces in the pan.
Old June 5th, 2007, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

yeah prolly need to be rebuilt, but while your at it i suggest if you want more power but still want good gas milleage get a 307.....now im not talking about those peice of **** year 307s im talking about the older ones the god ones, i have 2 86 chevys 1 has a 383 stroker in it and the other has a 307 out of a stock 1970 chevelle and it has PLETY of power oh no to mention it only has a 2 barrel carbthe day i bought my 427 i had it and a 400 turbo tranny in the back of the truck and i was towing my 77 elcamino (didnt have afuel filter and dirt got in the carb and died on my g/f..doesnt know how to drive old cars) and i would forget i was towing **** lol no joke. but uh yeah.....back to the tranny, what kind was it? if you dont feel like getting it rebuilt just go out and find a 350 turbo or say a 700R overdrive, those are my 2 favorites and good trannys