Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?

What kind of oil are you guys running on?

I have a 2006 1500 and I'm looking for the best oil around, any recommendations?
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?

I am running Mobile 1 synthetic. I like it, well since my truck has 220k miles on it I dont want any of my main bearings to go south.
Old June 12th, 2007, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

IMO Royal Purple is the bestmfg out there for fluids period. I always run it and have had great success with it. Will be swappingmy new NBS07 over to it here in pretty soon. Redline or Penzoil Platinum would be other good choices.
Old June 13th, 2007, 9:41 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use Royal Purple or Redline as they are not GM4718M certified.
Pensoil Platinum Full Synthetic does though and is a good product.

I use Mobil 1
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
CF Junior Member

I also use Mobil 1 have 122K on my 2000 Surburban. Had 187K on a 90 GMC 1500 before it was stolen. At my part-time job we use Mobil 1 also. We have Ford F350 vans, just got new ones. The last 4 had over 400K avg ,[ in just over 3 yr.s],on all of them never had any engine trouble. I oversee all of the Maint. and although they were hard on brakes,tires, front ends the engines held up .
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: Fireguy8

We have Ford F350 vans, just got new ones. The last 4 had over 400K avg ,[ in just over 3 yr.s],on all of them never had any engine trouble.
WOW!!! lots of miles on those!
Old June 14th, 2007, 7:28 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I wouldn't use Royal Purple or Redline as they are not GM4718M certified.
Pensoil Platinum Full Synthetic does though and is a good product.

I use Mobil 1

Where to start? Maybe here. The GM4718M oil standard is for GM vehicles that come with synthetic oil from the factory( Vette, GTO I believe, and maybe some others ). It would not apply to the Silverado 1500 in question. The oil standard that would apply to this person's truck is GM6094M and RP exceeds that standard. It does not listthe standard on the bottle( RP doesn't do that except for one I will mention below )or web site due to a technicality of the oil rating system( SL vs SM - being certified for the new SM would actually causeRP to use inferior ingredients and their oil would not be as good - it does meet/exceed all performance spec's however so under the Magnuson-Moss act you are fine).It is just technical red tape.

The GM6094M oil standard has to do with cold start properties. I have the standard spec'sand what is required and RP exceeds the standard. It will NOT void warranty using it. GM states the oil must be API Certified( which it is )and meet GM6094M standards( which it exceeds ). So, he can use RP no problem and his warranty is fine.

On to the synthetic standard you brought up. Royal Purple actually not only meets the spec's for GM4178M it exceeds it from the info I have gathered.RP actually lists the 4718M standard on the bottle so any discussion about the subject is kind of pointless. It is right on the back of the bottle andI have seen it personally.For some reason they don't list it on their web site for me to proivide a link to however. But, it does meet/exceed the standard and is safe for warranty use in vehicles calling for it as well as his truck.

Redline is fine for the GM6094M standard and would exceed it( ANY synthetic would ). I don't know about it in regards to the GM4718M standard as they don't list that info on their site and I haven't researched the standard spec's to check it out the way I did RP and GM6094M( only oil I run and that was the standard I needed to verify - at the time though I saw 4718M on the bottle and as that is a superior rating I knew it would be fine for the lesser 6094M - just wanted the info for personalknowledge). I do know it is very popular with the Vette guys required to use an oil that meets that standard however and many run it no problem.

Redline or Royal Purple are no problem in a Silverado 1500. The oil standard you site isn't relevant to this vehicle. NO offense meant by any of this but let's keep the info relevant to the guy's truck and what is required for it. No sense confusing the issue with standards that don't apply.
Old June 14th, 2007, 9:57 AM
CF Junior Member

On the over 400K mi, I work Part-time as a contract driver for a La. state run program that is called Motorist Assistance,[MAP], we assist strandeddrivers,police depts.,fire, etc. We work accidents,[most of us are full time firefighters,Emts], provide emergency lights,protection and fix minor problems to get folks off of the Interstates .I need to add that a good oil filter is also very important. I don`t use Fram. I primarily use Wix. A good site to check is Bob`s The Oil Guy .com
Old June 16th, 2007, 9:47 AM
Banned

Amsoil is the only oil that will ever be going in all of my vehicles. I don't get why there is such hype for RP. I wouldnt use mobil 1 either. My truck is Amsoil front to back. Severe Gear 75W90 in axles. Hi performance 5W30 in motor, Torque drive ATF in transmission.
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

I use Royal Purple it is the best oil my motor runs cooler an makes more power.

Quick Reply: WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?