Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is this wire???

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2022, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ground wire going to your hood is just for AM frequency. Thats it. It wont interfere with anything unless you listen to AM radio
Old June 27th, 2022, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Dee74
I recently purchased a 2006 Silverado 1500 WT extended cab 4WD. When I opened the hood there is a wire that is bolted to the hood on the driver's side directly above the master cylinder. the wire has been cut and is just hanging there. The part number is 9982. Is this some sort of old ground wire for something or is it something else. It does not seem to effect the truck, hopefully someone has one and can tell me what it is used for.
I know it's months later but it might still help someone else... That wire you described attaches to the fire wall right below the spot that it is bolted to the hood. this ground wire grounds your hood to the chassis and let's the hood act as a sort of antenna for the radio as well. so if your radio is fuzzy then I would double check this ground strap. Very common problem on all these Chevy or gmc 5.3 is bad grounds. The one on the hood is usually the first to go or at least first to be noticed. Everyone with these vehicles should go through and double check all of their grounds/ ground straps. Bad grounds can cause all kinds of weird problems.

Last edited by Sammyp92; June 27th, 2022 at 6:10 PM.
Old July 13th, 2022, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

On my truck, there is a braided harness with round eyelets, one connects to the firewall pin and the other to the hood pjn; then attached to it is a harness of 2 small wires attached to the braid that extends to the hood lamp - then the braid and wires are secured to a plastic stiffener then covered in what looks to be 5/8 prorective conduit. The light assy has a springy plastic housing that easily snaps in and out of the hood and when removed, hangs upside down causing it to shut off when the hood is opened for any lentgth of time (battery draw). This harness can easily be forgotten when closing the hood, or even get caught when opening/closing. I actuallyjust repaired this harness on my truck today as the ground braid eyelet had come detached from one of the pins.