Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will you help a NOOB?

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2010, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you help a NOOB?

Hey guys I just bought this

TO HAUL THIS

BUT I just cant leave it alone and Id like some help. I love the Chevy trucks, especially the 2500. I want to add some wheels/tires and maybe a small lift but I am lost!

Im getting a great deal on a Rock Kralwer (my Jeep sponsor) 4.5" lift but Im not sure if its to tall for towing my Jeep.

What are the advantages of running a true lift over doing a level lift? What size tires can I run with the level lift? I am being told I can easily run 33's with the RK 4.5 lift and clear 35's.

I know you guys are the experts. Im not towing my Jeep but maybe 10 weekends or so a year so will be driving the truck more than anything. I still need it functional for what I bought it for though. Ive already added air bags in the rear.

I know you hate answering the same questions over and over but I would appreciate the help. Its a 2007 2500HD new body. Currently running the really small 16's and want to run a Toyo or Nitto Trail in an 18 or 20.

Thanks again!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 9:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 4.5 in. lift won't be to tall for hauling that trailer...just make sure you get the right size drop hitch for it and it will be fine
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you lift the truck don't forget about the driveshaft!
It won't fit as is into the casing.
Old June 4th, 2010, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

No kidding? So I have to replace the shafts or how are you guys getting around this? On the Jeep you can go about 4 inches before you have to get longer ones. I dont care anything about going thru all that. So if you do a level lift does that also require shafts? If not I may do that and a body lift. Hopefully that would fit 33's.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a leveling kit doesn't require you to replace the shaft and you'll be able to run 33s easily
Old June 4th, 2010, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the info! As much as I would like to put the Rock Krawler lift on it, it doesn't sound like the way to go for me. This sounds much more practical and still user friendly not messing with the towing characteristics of the truck.
Old June 4th, 2010, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys sure he has to change the driveshaft for only a 4.5" lift? I think you should be fine. What kind of trailer are you pulling? Bumper pull or goose neck?
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Bumper pull my Jeep about 5500lbs and the trailer is a twin axle 7500lb that weighs a couple thousand. I have a camper that's gooseneck that I may pull occasionally.

Im afraid the RK lift will be to tall. Im not crazy about having a huge drop hitch with that much weight and valuable cargo on a trailer.
Old June 5th, 2010, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

I do have a question though. Lets say I go with the lift. It uses 3" blocks in the rear but right now I have air lift air bags for towing. Would you put the blocks under the air bags? Leave them out but then the air bags would always be inflated or?