Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would like opinions on this trade...

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like opinions on this trade...

Hi I'm new to the forum but not to the forum world. This one is set up almost exactly like the HD forum which I've enjoyed thoroughly.

I'm thinking about trading my 87 Harley Softail for a 2000 K2500 4 door LS with 230k miles. The truck appears to be in good condition overall. Known issues are minor (I think) oil cooler leak from a line, and the 4x4 encoder or relay needs replaced. Other than that, the driver seat is a bit messed up but the rest of the truck appears to be in nice shape. 2 sets of wheels come with the truck. It has a tonneau. There's speculation that the engine and or tranny may have been rebuilt but no proof.

My bike has 30k original miles and is not perfect but is a really nice ride. Both vehicles are daily drivers.

I'll get some pics posted here shortly. Any thought or opinions on the trade would be great. Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you think or feel that it's a good trade? you might look at kelly blue book and nada values for your bike and the truck. see how close in value they are. otherwise, i'd go with what you feel. i love my trucks. that' just me.
Old April 15th, 2010, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
do you think or feel that it's a good trade? you might look at kelly blue book and nada values for your bike and the truck. see how close in value they are. otherwise, i'd go with what you feel. i love my trucks. that' just me.

I've looked at both Book value sites plus a lot of dealer and private ads. I don't go strictly by book value but they seem to be very close as far as that's concerned. I know what you mean though. In the end it's about personal preference but nothing has convinced me firmly one way or the other. It's usually easier for me to make a decision but this one has me a little stuck.
Old April 15th, 2010, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default pics

Old April 15th, 2010, 1:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say its a good trade..that truck looks clean....and if u get all that is wrong fixed it shouldbe a good truck
Old April 15th, 2010, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gotstylez
i'd say its a good trade..that truck looks clean....and if u get all that is wrong fixed it shouldbe a good truck

I really like the truck and don't mind putting a little work into it. The high miles make a little nervous but not as much as it used to. Do these trucks come standard with 4L80E tranny? Is 20mpg out of the question? It has a ball in the bed and I think it was used to pull a horse trailer. I've put a lot of work into my bike already and love it too. Pretty much completely torn on this decision...
Old April 15th, 2010, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Also, can anyone help me out on a VIN check?

1GCGK29U2YE396831
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smell the trans fluid and see if it smells burnt..... 230k is alot but it also depends how he maintainced it.....
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gotstylez
smell the trans fluid and see if it smells burnt..... 230k is alot but it also depends how he maintainced it.....
Turns out the guy got impatient and traded for a crotch rocket....lol. He said it was a nice one though. I guess the search for my chevy continues.
Old April 16th, 2010, 9:16 AM
CF Active Member

Just in case you start looking again, you will most likely never get 20mpg out of any 6.0 equiped truck.

My half ton truck with the HO 6.0 will only get about 17 on the highway.

The 4l80 for most is indestructable. they came in 1500HD, 2500 (ld), and 2500HD GM trucks.

Good luck with your search

Quick Reply: Would like opinions on this trade...