Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

03 2500HD shutting off

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 2500HD shutting off

I have a 2003 2500 HD silverado with 125k miles on it. At first it would pulse at an idle every now and then like it wanted to shut off but would rev just enough to keep from shutting off. I just chocked it up to a very low idle and just ignored it. Then it moved to me putting it in reverse and backing up and when I would take my foot off the gas and go to brake and switch to drive it would shut off. Half the time it did it so fast and quiet that I was surprised. Now it wants to shut off as soon as I put it in reverse. Starts right back up no problem but I need to keep my foot on the gas at stop signs and lights just to keep it from shutting off. I don't know much of anything about vehicles and don't want to get run over by a bunch of technical crap at the dealership that will cost me a few limbs so could you guys give me some ideas as to what is going on?
Old September 9th, 2011, 1:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Low idle sounds like fuel pressure regulator. Look on top of the engine driver side for an 1 1/2" round (regulator) "device" with a vacuum line hooked to it. Start it, let it run 30 seconds or so, shutoff, pull the vacuum line. If there is gasoline there, the regulator has a hole in the diaphram. Thats about a 5 minute $50 fix. I should add, if it is the regulator you will after removing it have gas out of it, so don't do that with a hot engine. As I said or should have, cold, start let run 30 seconds, then proceed.

Last edited by kevinkpk; September 9th, 2011 at 1:43 PM. Reason: I should add, if it is the regulator you will after removing it have gas out of it, so don't do that with a hot engine. As I
Old September 9th, 2011, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Low idle sounds like fuel pressure regulator. Look on top of the engine driver side for an 1 1/2" round (regulator) "device" with a vacuum line hooked to it. Start it, let it run 30 seconds or so, shutoff, pull the vacuum line. If there is gasoline there, the regulator has a hole in the diaphram. Thats about a 5 minute $50 fix. I should add, if it is the regulator you will after removing it have gas out of it, so don't do that with a hot engine. As I said or should have, cold, start let run 30 seconds, then proceed.

Thank you very much I will have my husband check it asap!
Old September 9th, 2011, 2:13 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by guariscoc
Thank you very much I will have my husband check it asap!
You can add to this bulliten board by repling either way if fixed or not. You're very welcome. I hope that fixes your truck.
Old September 10th, 2011, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE! Husband explained the issues to a friend and they gave him a used but good and clean throttle body to try and it runs like new! The one in the truck was dirty but also something was wrong with the gears?!? Sorry I am not great at all of this technical stuff but they said cleaning it wouldn't have worked because something else was also bad in it also. He also checked the fuel pressure regulator just for grins and it is good. Thanks so much!!
Old September 10th, 2011, 3:36 PM
CF Monarch

Gears, you mean the cable gears (internal) Great, glad it is fixed, and THANKS for posting. Others can use that info for help with an issue without "taking it to a dealer". the TPS has a "reostat" that is mechanically operated by the throttle cable which tells the PCM what position it is in. Your old one was probably worn out.