Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

04 duramax turbo

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2010, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 duramax turbo

I have a 2004 Duramax and the turbo has a high pitched sound on acceleration, especially when cold. Power and fuel economy seem to be the same. Any ideas what is causing the noise.
Old March 8th, 2010, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just when you start it or all the time?
Old March 8th, 2010, 8:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

could just be the turbo spooling up. they make a high pitch whine that increases with throttle. it takes more to compress cold air. this is normal. if the power cuts out, or throttle response is not the same as normal, it's possible it's the bearings. you might also check the hoses at turbo and intake to make sure they aren't worn or cracked or loose.
Old March 8th, 2010, 9:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxxman04
could just be the turbo spooling up. they make a high pitch whine that increases with throttle. it takes more to compress cold air. this is normal. if the power cuts out, or throttle response is not the same as normal, it's possible it's the bearings. you might also check the hoses at turbo and intake to make sure they aren't worn or cracked or loose.
thats what im thinking but its its only when he starts it up.. it could be seals and bearings and ehatever else.. probably needs a rebuild
Old March 8th, 2010, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

my 04 whines more on start up. not much, but it is a little more than when warm.
Old March 9th, 2010, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your info, This only started about 1 month ago, I know that turbos do have a whine to them, but this is more excessive than I am used to. I have owned the truck from new. I had checked the hoses, they are all in tack. My thought was bearings, but if that was the case, the turbo should have blown a while ago as faulty bearings dont last long at the revs they are turning in there.
Old March 9th, 2010, 7:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by saskrider
Thanks for your info, This only started about 1 month ago, I know that turbos do have a whine to them, but this is more excessive than I am used to. I have owned the truck from new. I had checked the hoses, they are all in tack. My thought was bearings, but if that was the case, the turbo should have blown a while ago as faulty bearings dont last long at the revs they are turning in there.
not necessarily. they might make noise for awhile before goin out. also, might check housing for cracks. does the noise go up and down with rpm, or is it steady?
Old March 11th, 2010, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Do you plug it in when it gets cold? it might be that the fuel is too thick and can't flow right.