Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1993 silverado stripping?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2009, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 silverado stripping?

Hi i was wanting to know if anyone knew how to strip off the "C1500" strip off the side of the truck. The rubber strip goes all the way down the truck and i want to take it off. My friend told me to get a hair dryer and warm up the adhesive, but i figured there would be an easier way to get it off and how to take off the excess sticky stuff left behind?
Old February 25th, 2009, 3:57 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I guess I'm a little confused on what strip you are talking about??

The plastic and chrome trim? or the C1500 emblem? I'm lost
Old February 25th, 2009, 8:21 PM
CF Active Member

on a truck that old if you go to pull the moulding off it may also pull paint off seen it happen its not pretty and no there is no easy way except pay someone else to deal with it just like your friend said heat it up and pull i would suggest a heat gun instead of a hair dryer gets hotter and go to a local automotive paint store anf get some adhesive remover it will help soften the double stick tape after you pull off the plastic to help clean it off
Old February 26th, 2009, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
I guess I'm a little confused on what strip you are talking about??

The plastic and chrome trim? or the C1500 emblem? I'm lost
Yeah, the plastic and chrome trim that has the C1500 emblem in it.

Thanks for your posts i'll take that other guys advice and see what happens. Thanks a lot!!! =]
Old February 26th, 2009, 6:37 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Ah gotcha.

I don't know how to get it off but I'm having a helluva time getting the trim to stay on. The little peice between the door and the wheelwhell on the passenger side likes to fall off every time I slam the door.
Old March 31st, 2009, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

you can pick up what they call an eraser wheel at your local body shop. Using a body work scraper and blow dryer if you may to heat it up slowly pull strip off. Then afterwards use the wheel with cordless drill and it will take the glue off without harming your paint then use detailers cleaner to get the mess off. Wish you luck , I'm about to do the same thing to mine.
Old March 31st, 2009, 9:24 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Man, I went old school to remove the trim on my truck. I just used safety wire(can also use fishing line,) starting from one end to the other I drug the wire under the trim to seperate it from the adhesive and then used lacquer thinner to remove the rest of the gunk.

Deez
Old April 1st, 2009, 1:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im doing teh same thing to my truck. im taking all the emblems off and shaving the tailgate and getting a popper to wire and open teh tailgate with my keyless... and putting chrome under where the molding is... but to take it off just use some line like deez said. then get some adhesive remover or something to remove the adhesive. or get gasket remover. just yesterday i saw a guys truck. looked like he tried taking the panel off with a metal tool... the paint came with it. now hes got half trim removed along with a huge rust spot all along the side...
Old April 1st, 2009, 2:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Assuming it's a sticker, and not chrome with studs, you can try using some of that clear
plastic packaging cut into strips like I did. But my '04 was all stickers.(With the glue from hell,BTW.) Use it just as you would monofilament fishing line. Take your time, and use polishing compound to erase/brighten any marks left on the paint. After you get the glue off.