Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

** Anyone Breaking / Stripping the Side Mirror Gears ?? **

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2015, 7:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ** Anyone Breaking / Stripping the Side Mirror Gears ?? **

As many know on this forum, we have been providing repairs for the electric door lock actuators for the 2007-2014 GM vehicles for quite some time.

2007-2014 GM Door Lock Actuator Repair - Gruven Parts

We were recently contacted by another customer who reported issues with his folding mirrors on his GM truck. He stated there is a little plastic gear within the mechanism that typically strips or breaks. The only recourse is to buy a whole new unit from GM, for over $1000. All this just to get another plastic gear that will soon suffer the same fate.

Since we are already building new motors and soon new gears for the door lock actuator issue, we could look into also building replacement gears/motors for the folding side mirrors too.

Please post your experience with folding mirror failures on your 2007-2014 GM truck. If you have a spare unit that you can send us for evaluation, we can likely provide you with a free metal gear to replace the discrepant plastic gear that is breaking.

Please email Paul@GruvenParts.com

Thanks,
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:33 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mirrors

no Mirror failures (yet) on my 09.
Old May 5th, 2015, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the passenger side slam to the folded position while at highway speed. The mirror separated and shattered. I had noticed a few days before at mall parking lot that the mirror had been bumped or run into so I'm pretty sure that's what started it.

Replaced with one from a friend who owns a body shop for $190 (his cost).
Old May 6th, 2015, 7:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks and sorry to hear about that.

Do you still have the broken one ?
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My passenger mirror won't fold in anymore. I'm not convinced its the gear though it likely is broken. It worked when I got the truck used. Ran through car wash first time, was told plenty of room for the mirrors (and I watched several trucks go through with theirs out). On the last little part at the end, the mirror got clipped and folded just a small amount in.

Ever since then it hasn't worked. I can't really hear it work either. (why i'm not sold 100% its the gear) As much as I'd love to send it in, I need it. I am looking forward to buying a replacement gear in the future hopefully with some nice install instructions.
Old May 7th, 2015, 7:27 AM
Former Sponsor

OK Ive got a unit here now, so we are disassembling it and I will report back with findings.
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Guys ive got the unit here and fully disassembled.

I can see the plastic gear in this mechanism thats breaking.

We can likely make this gear from brass, however cost will be ~ $50 ea and we'll need 20 pre-orders.

If anyone is interested, please post here and also email us - paul@gruvenparts.com. Please also give me the part number for your mirror assy.

This project will remain on hold until we can build interest.

FYI the GM unit costs $783 so hopefully this will save lots of $ and correct a design flaw with the folding mirrors.
Old May 11th, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd be in on this.

I just picked up an '09 Denali. The passenger mirror doesn't fold in. I have my OEM mirrors from my 08 Burb, and it should be a direct replacement. However, it'd be nice to have the clunker fixed.
Old May 11th, 2015, 3:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be in as well. Not sure what part # you are talking about...I think mine are the DL3 option? If there was only detailed instructions how to take this mirror apart so I could verify the gear was bad....
Old July 21st, 2015, 7:07 AM
Former Sponsor

2007-2014 GM Trucks Folding Mirror Spur Gear Made From High Strength Steel - Click the Pic !

GruvenParts.com has released this billet VR6 intake manifold drive link for ALL VW/Audi VR6 engines with variable intake manifolds!

** Please Note : THIS IS CURRENTLY A PRE-BUY - ONCE WE RECEIVE 20 PRE-ORDERS, WE WILL DELIVER PARTS WITHIN 6 WEEKS. The status of the Pre-Buy will be updated on the product page. **

GruvenParts.com is pleased to announce our plans to manufacture replacement spur gears for the folding mirrors on 2007-2014 GM truck including Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. As many have discovered, the folding mirror assembly on these trucks suffers from 1 weak point : a spur located within the mechanism was made from plastic rather than proper gear steel. As a result, the plastic GM spur gear strips or cracks over time causing an inoperable folding mirror. Unfortunately, GM will only sell you the complete folding mirror assembly, which ranges from $700-$1,200 ea depending on the year/make/model.
And that $ would be spent just to get another faulty mirror assembly with a plastic spur gear that will also soon fail.

GruvenParts.com has addressed this issue by designing a proper spur gear made from high strength gear steel. This will eliminate the cracking and stripping which is occurring in the GM plastic gear.

Please note that in order to install the replacement GruvenParts.com steel gear, you will need to disassemble the mirror mechanism. This requires basic tools and a vice. The replacement metal gear will need to be pressed onto the worm gear shaft using a suitable vice or arbor press. If you lack the tools or experience to take on this task, you can contact us via email to send in your unit, or find a local repair center that can perform the installation for you.

Application :
All 2007-2014 GM Trucks With Folding Mirrors Including Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali.

Quick Reply: ** Anyone Breaking / Stripping the Side Mirror Gears ?? **