Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 4x4 Transfer Case Questions

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2008, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 4x4 Transfer Case Questions

Hello All,
I am a new member and hope someone can help me out.

I have a 2001 Silverado4x4 that seems to not be going into 4 wheel drive now. Has been working for several years but now does not pull with the front wheels at all.

I want to repair it myself and have looked everywhere I can think of to get a "drawing" of the inside of the transfer case and the Case where the actuator is, so as to get an idea as to what is inside and how it works, before taking it out of the truck, but can not seem to locate any drawings or pictures. Anyone know where I might could get these type drawing/pictures?

I have changed the actuator per recommendations of several mechanics, even per a Chevrolet dealers mechanic, but still no luck.[]

I see there is a "motor" actually on the transfer case and was wondering if someone knew what exactly this motor does. Is the transfer case geared or chain driven?

I have jacked the truck up where all four wheels are off the ground and can actually stop the front wheels, both at the same time, when the 4 wheel drive is engaged. Is this supposed to be or does this tell me nothing. The driveshaft from the transfer Case to the front wheel drive gearbox stops also. Does this mean something is wrong in the Transfer Case?[8D]

Thanks,
jraquel
Old November 20th, 2008, 9:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2001 4x4 Transfer Case Questions

doe the light on the switch come up when in 4HI mode? could be just switch, those are notorious. you should hear actuator - motor - buzz and click when Tcase does its job. check the plug on actuator.
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Light comes on
Can hear and feel the motorrespond and attempt toengage
can feel and hear the actuator respond and appear to engage

How do I confirm the switch is not the problem if the motor and actuator are responding?

Thanks

Do you know if this Transfer Case is chain driven or gear driven?
Old November 21st, 2008, 2:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If the motor and actuator are responding, are they not activated by the switch? Sounds like the problem is at the xfer case. Not for nothing, but this exact problem is the reason most experienced 4WD truck owners prefer the manually actuated xfer case to the pushbuttons on the dash. This problem is unfortunately all too common, and it has an aggravating habit of cropping up at the least desirable of times.
Old May 11th, 2012, 5:04 AM
CF Beginner

Ito am experiencing problems with my transfercase in not engaging i hear the actuator motor turn. I think it could be a sheered key on the actuator gear. Is there a common problem with these transfer cases? oh and the light just blinks when i put it in 4 high or low. Please help !
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine won't go in 4x4 unless I am in n