Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 Silverado Noisy Lifters at Startup

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2011, 7:26 PM
rhd
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado Noisy Lifters at Startup

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 4WD – 5.3L V8

I bought the truck new and have 135K+ miles on her.

The truck runs great and does not smoke or use oil.

I have noticed for a while now, maybe a year or so, when I start the truck in the morning the lifters clack/tick a little until the truck runs for say a couple of minutes, then the noise stops, after that there are no noises. I only notice it when the truck has been turned off for a long time. After that it drives fine without noises, if I drive without letting it idle at bit it is quite noisy for about 15 to 20 seconds.

I have good oil pressure on the stock gauge, close to 50psi I think, about 5/8 across the gauge, not quite 3/4 to the right on the gauge.

Do my lifters need adjusted? Is my oil pump getting bad?

Any advice appreciated.

TIA
Old March 21st, 2011, 3:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is normal for 2000-2002 trucks i believe, may go on further than that though im not sure. but mine does it every mornin upon start up...do you run synthetic?

I run synthetic and it quieted it down quite a bit and then ran some seafoam through it and helped out a good bit too
Old March 21st, 2011, 4:31 PM
CF Active Member

Hi, have the same setup as you but have 200+k on my truck. Changed oil to a synthetic blend hi-mileage with a can of seafoam . Noticed a slight Improvment but I just wait a few moments for them to quiet before driving. As for your questions no and no

Last edited by ToooTall1; March 21st, 2011 at 4:52 PM.
Old March 21st, 2011, 8:30 PM
rhd
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replys, no I do not run synthetic or seafoam.

What is seafoam?

I have a 07 maxima I drive mostly in the summer, we are starting to thaw out here, (Montana) so my winter in the pickup is nearing its end... now its just boat haulin time for her, good pickup, not many problems at all.

Thanks
Old March 21st, 2011, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

synthetics should help...seafoam is like the best cleanin system for your engine besides takin it to the stealership and havin them clean it out
Old March 22nd, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

SeaFoam---> see your local Autopart store.... really good stuff slicker than snot
i would use AmsOIL, google them, i am not with them. but this stuff puts mobile 1 to shame.
i use it on all of my rigs,
My wife refused to use it on her SUV, "Wha Wha What Did she Say?" then her friend (whose husband, i sometime help with his mechanical stuff) told her about it... (hence i already gave him some of my amsoil to try out)
long story short...she now raids my shop for it. women... right!!

it is made in America By Americans ...
Old March 26th, 2011, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2001 1500 4x4 Z71 (5.3) and it does the same thing when I first start it. I am the 2nd owner (bought with 82,000) and both the 1st owner and I use Mobil 1 oil. I also let it run for about a minute before putting it into drive.
I was told by my mechanic that the Mobil 1 will help and that Chevy is known for this problem. It should not get worse unless you let the oil get low. Good luck, hope this helps.