Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2009, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Silverado A/C problems

I just hooked up a new stereo in my truck. I hooked everything up right and pushed the wiring back in, pushed in the stereo, and secured it. I turn on the truck to go for a ride and I noticed all the sudden the driver side air conditioning was blowing hot air instead of cold. The passenger side A/C works just fine still and all the A/C controls are in the right position.

Is it possible I knocked something loose or closed a vent when I pushed the wires and the stereo in place?

I do not know very much about my A/C so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Nater04; July 23rd, 2009 at 5:58 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Pull your radio back out and check all the connections. Something may have been knocked lose when you pushed your radio back in. I've had this happen before on several different kinds of vehicles when installing a deck. all sorts of weird things can happen when you install a deck....

I put one in my Taurus about a year ago and my keyless entry and alarm stopped working... Turned out to be a fuse that I popped somehow during the install. So yeah, check your fuses too

Last edited by broknindarkagain; July 23rd, 2009 at 7:12 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 9:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't ask me why, but when I installed my new audio system, I also installed a new high amperage alternator, and when it was in before the new audio system, I noticed for some reason the extra amperage really helped the A/C run super cold.

Your audio system, with the standard alternator, on the other hand, may be drawing juice AWAY from your A/C...
Old July 24th, 2009, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hmmm....

So I jump in my truck to go to work and.... My A/C works just fine now!!

I guess it just needed to be turned off and restarted?

I'm not sure but hopefully it stays working.

Thanks for all the help!
Old July 25th, 2009, 6:18 AM
CF Junior Member

??? Thats weird. My truck is in the shop right now getting the AC looked at. It will blow cold then warm then hot back to cold. depends on the traffic and driving conditions. stop and go or when i get on it it will get hot if i keep the rpms steady it will get cold.
Old February 15th, 2014, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Im having a similar problem with my 05 Z71 - passenger side blows cold, drivers side blows hot. My truck at work does the same thing its an 07. Im trying to find the fix..I have noticed on the work truck that shutting of the truck and re starting it usually fixes the problem.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Junior Member

I had to replace the Air Door Actuator in my truck when I had the same hot cold issues.

The Air Door Actuator is located under the dash to the right of the gas pedal.....Its a PITA to get to. One of those repairs where you are on your back with you legs hanging out of the drivers door, sticking your tongue out of your mouth, sweating profusely, doing just about everything by feel.....Yes its one of those repairs. But its possible and doable. Just be patient. I watched a few door actuator replacement videos on You tube. They helped a bunch.

Doing the repair myself saved some big bucks compared to paying the dealership.