Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spongjim5
Goodluck ,all I am getting is lies.

Well I went back yesterday to take the second service manager for a ride since they were unable to find anything wrong and not even five minutes into the ride I was able to replicate the problem and her response was "oh my; not sure how we missed that". They still have the truck and are looking into it finally. I would venture to say they didn't even bother to look for anything wrong and just assumed the tires were out of balance. Pure lazyness.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 9:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Well ,I finally got a call back from GM today . I called them on the 10th after the dealership had the truck for three weeks total. They told me that the vibration I feel from 60 up to 80mph is normal for a 2011 3500 Dually and there is no fix. He said he had been in contact with the dealership and they said it was a characteristic of a 3500 . The owner of the dealership rode with me and said he would be affraid to drive my truck due to the vibration being this bad. When I called him today he said he had not talked to them and that was a lie. The district rep told him friday he would have a engineer come down and drive my truck. The caller today said he didnt see anything about this happening and had not heard anything about it. I wish you the best of luck trying to get GM to stand behind their product ,but be ready to be told its normal for a new truck to shake at highway speed.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Testing

I wonder if any of your trucks have been jacked up on all 4 corners and run tested to see if the problem persists. Be sure the fronts are supported UNDER THE A ARM so the axle pitch stays in the same angle as driving. Being 4wd it can test back seperate and with the front locked in. Remember the front axles are turning all the time with wheel and hub because they are just bolted together. The axles are locked together left and right only after being put in 4wd or awd. The problem does sound like drive line misaligned or balance, even u-joint bind. As a tech, I find dealerships forget the basics of diagnosis, and expect people to wait forever.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Lyons9 , I was a GM tech at the dealership that has been working on mine. I had to retire at the first of the year due to fatigue from chemo. I thought about all that also , but I am sure they just dont know what to do and think I will just go away . Not going to happen ! I am not going away till my truck is fixed or replaced!!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 crew Z71 I bought new for my wife to drive. And I probably should drive it and see if she has the same problem. I drove it a couple of times and did't notice anything odd. This is my first Chevy I bought new. I am a Ford man but with the corporate restructure in 2010 Ford wouldn't release 2011's until enough 2010 were sold (with no discounts I might Add). In November of 2010, my local Ford dealer had gotten two new crews in and the sticker was $46k. I left and bought the chevy. Though not a chevy man, I have to fix all models and I don't mind some of GM's design in the truck. The headlights are awesome, the engine space under the hood is great, my complaint would be the trans shift lag and the engine change back to 8cyl lag when slowing and going like in a round-about. But I am getting older and don't need to leave rubber everytime anymore. Maybe because tickets suck too. I was even thinking of a new Malibu until I read the Trans problems page.

My Z71 also has the Z71 apperance package which comes with rancho shocks instead of bilsteins, wonder if that chages things. The body mount thing I awas just reading is interesting, but the truck has been the same since 2007. I know guys with 08 and 09's and they love them no shake. I just put some cooper at3's on my neighbors 08 crew and we went to game together it rides very smooth.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lyons9
I wonder if any of your trucks have been jacked up on all 4 corners and run tested to see if the problem persists. Be sure the fronts are supported UNDER THE A ARM so the axle pitch stays in the same angle as driving. Being 4wd it can test back seperate and with the front locked in. Remember the front axles are turning all the time with wheel and hub because they are just bolted together. The axles are locked together left and right only after being put in 4wd or awd. The problem does sound like drive line misaligned or balance, even u-joint bind. As a tech, I find dealerships forget the basics of diagnosis, and expect people to wait forever.

Just out of curiosity after I noticed the vibration I jacked the front end of the truck up, got underneath it and had a friend spin the tires as fast as he could and I could notive an orbiting effect on the front axles as if they weren't centered on the u-joints. I don't know if this is normal for these trucks but I know every front wheel drive vehicle i've ever worked on never had such an issue. From what I understand the axles should rotate without any orbital or eliptical movement to them at all. I told the service manager what I saw but I think it went in one ear and out the other.

As an update my truck is still in the shop today and I got a call from them about an hour ago saying they still didn't know what was wrong and yet another service manager was taking my truck for a ride. I'll give them a little longer to figure it out but if I don't start to see results i'm taking it to another GM shop.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I went to two other dealerships and two big tire chain stores and had the service managers drive this truck . They all said the same thing ,Not only is it not normal but it could be dangerous and needs to be checked as soon as possible. GM said this is a normal vibration for a 3500 dually and nothing can be done. So thats where I am at now. GM FIX MY TRUCK OR REPLACE IT!!!!!!!
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did anyone of you get your truck fixed? If so..what was it? Going thru something similar on an 05
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok two engineers and a district rep had my truck for two days trying to fix the vibration ( That I keep getting told is normal for a 3500) . Dropped it off on a wednesday they worked on it Thursday and Friday all day ,and came up with a bent rear rim . Got the truck back Tuesday last week and was told it was fixed no more vibration and they had all gone home. Didnt ask me to come ride with them to ensure that the vibration was gone ,it is fixed . Picked the truck up and called the dealership back on the way home vibration is not as bad but still there . Truck is not fixed!!!
Took the truck back in yesterday and asked them if the front tires and rims were checked when all this was done ,well no !!!??? They checked the front and both front rims are also bent ,got two new ones and one of them is bent .Ordered another one got it today and went and rode with tech. who is working on my truck ,hell it is worse now then before I brought it back this time . I was told they are going to order another rim ,to replace one of the ones they just replaced. They tried alloys off a 2012 and said it was better ,I drove a new 2012 off the lot and it also vibrates but not as bad. The new demo I was driving while they had my truck was a 1500 and had 6 miles on it and it vibrates at 68 to 75 mph. It is not due to the frame ,it is not just the 3500 and it is damn sure NOT NORMAL!!!!! I am going to allow this one rim to be put on the truck ,but if it does not fix the vibration , I am done . Gm can get ready to buy this one back .
Old June 22nd, 2012, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

I'm Having the same issue with my 2011 Silverado, Dealer has had it 4 times and today its going in again,
they have road force balanced, replaced drums twice, pads and rotors, removed and balanced drive shaft, replace bed mounts, alignment, rotated tires, rotated tires on the rims. I got it back yesterday and they said its all fixed now, I wasnt 10 km from the dealer and all I could feel was vibration, have any of your dealers found a solution to this problem?

NOW WHAT????
so frustrated.

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.