Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2012, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sought out this forum to get some info on GM full size trucks as I am in the market for one. I am seriously second guessing this now.
Old June 29th, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

well after 8 trips to the dealership this is the response I got from the service Manager

Hi Tim, I have just spoken with our General Motors Warranty Manager and he will not authorize a rental vehicle. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
After driving the 2012 Silverado and verifying that the condition is the same, it is deemed that this is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle.<o></o>
<o></o>
The only recommendation I can make to you is to contact General Motors and pursue the issue with the customer communication center. I believe you have already been in contact with them so there will be a case open on the vehicle.<o></o>

I Responded to this email and told the general manager of the dealership and the service manager that this is a completly unacceptaple answer

I told them that I would be going to any news outlet that would listen to me I am prepared to fight GM on this one. NO WAY they are getting my money for this piece of junk

seems GM got my money and I ended up with a lemon
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Initially, my truck was smooth as silk. Had 5,600 miles on it from Mauer Chevrolet here in Minnesota. i now have 19,xxx miles on it and have had the problem since at least 10,000 miles if not sooner. I bought it in December, so after i noticed the vibration I figured it was due to road conditions (roads here in MN in the winter can be sketchy). However, the problem ensued.

I got 2 new front tires and that helped the situation SOME, but didn't resolve it. Had all 4 tires RF balanced...no change. Had them RF balanced at the dealership...again, no change. Lowered the PSI down from 35psi to 33psi....minimal change, but vibration is still there.

After RF balancing the tires at the dealership, I took the service guy for a ride. Shot 1 mile down the freeway an it felt good. Turned around, headed back to the dealership on the same stretch of freeway and the vibration was back, plain as day. It's not the road...it's the truck. How it goes from nice and smooth to vibrating like mad is beyond me, but I'm no engineer either.

What I do know is that it's frustrating that I sold my 2003 Z71 Ext. Cab with 200k miles on it and it rode like a Cadillac and I dropped over $30k for this 2011 Silverado with 5,600 miles on it and it's like a lumber wagon in comparison. I drive mostly freeway, so this is beyond troublesome.

Luckily, the dealer I'm working with now (Wilcox Chevrolet) is MUCH closer and the manager there seems very interested in getting this made right. I don't want them to just throw parts at it until it's fixed as that'll just waste money. I also don't want to be bringing it back to them 50 times to resolve this issue (and they don't want that either).

I'll see what he has to say about the driveshaft and body mounts. I'll keep you all updated. thank you for all of your perspectives and findings. Sure is helpful.
Old June 30th, 2012, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the Insight Todd,

I too will keep everyone posted.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Fwiw, I recently had my driveshaft balanced. For those not understanding the process, they put it in something similar to a lathe that has a dial indicator on both ends. Rear end section bounced the dial between 0-3 which was deemed normal. The transmission end bounced between 0-15. Took a hefty chunk of weight to dial it in and was confident I found the smoking gun. Ugh. It helped but is still there.

Funny thing that Todd Sandburg brings up. Some roads do it worse than others. Often going northbound/southbound on the same section of road but going in opposite directions changes things.

I have pulled over 10,000 lbs of 5th wheel hoping some weight would change it. If anything it made it worse.

To date:

Front hubs, rotors, pads
Driveshaft balanced
Tires balanced
Dropped/added tire pressure in a number of configurations
New rear wheel bearings
u-joints inspected
Tried entire different wheels and tires from a different truck.
Been on a lift with several mechanics looking for loose components with nothing profound identified

All things seemed in my mind to improve things but missed the root cause.
Old July 1st, 2012, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Yes I"m back I still follow this page,even tho my truck is fixed. I feel for you guys. The customer support from GM is gone they just dont care. Lies yes Chomone (GM rep) told lies she would call me just to say my dealer couldnt find any thing wrong with my truck when it was sitting in my driveway and hadnt been to the dealer. She even told me they had spent the allowed amount of money to fix the truck and that was all they were going to do. They call this the final resolution. Somewhere there has to be a town missing its idiot!!!! I have a donner driveshaft installed in my truck and it made it drive with no vibration. Believe me if it wasnt wright I would still be up GMs ***, and when something else goes wrong I'll be back up there ***.And if any one of you people want to take legal action and I
Old July 1st, 2012, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

[quote=pearl;220090]Yes I"m back I still follow this page,even tho my truck is fixed. I feel for you guys. The customer support from GM is gone they just dont care. Lies yes Chomone (GM rep) told lies she would call me just to say my dealer couldnt find any thing wrong with my truck when it was sitting in my driveway and hadnt been to the dealer. She even told me they had spent the allowed amount of money to fix the truck and that was all they were going to do. They call this the final resolution. Somewhere there has to be a town missing its idiot!!!! I have a donner driveshaft installed in my truck and it made it drive with no vibration. Believe me if it wasnt wright I would still be up GMs ***, and when something else goes wrong I'll be back up there ***.And if any one of you people want to take legal action and I can be of help. Im in.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default cason2004

I knew something wrong got the vibe problem in 2012 silverado club cab been to shop twice still have problem keep giving out help comments
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM
CF Junior Member

I havent had any luck getting my truck fixed , good luck. I cant get any response from dealer and havent heard anything from GM. I was in the hospital alot last month but dont see where they tried to call. I am fighting two battles in my life one with cancer and the other with GM over this vibrating P.O.S.
One of these battles could be prevented if they actually stood behind their products.
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Rough riding 2011 Silverado

Same problem, different day, trying not to get the run around every time I try to get results from service department. I got the tire story, and that is just the way the Silverado rides. Consumers are not stupid, we just get tired of the stories and excuses. They wear us down until we give up, until it sinks in again, how we spend thousands of dollars to have to settle with a product that doesn't stand up to expectations. I can put up with cardboard seats, handles that are in a bad location (hard to reach), more complicated cruise control (formally one press control), radio controls on wheel that my fingers are constantly hitting, etc. I still have my 1998 Silverado - Z71- with 80,000 miles on it that has this 2011 Silverado - Z71 beat to heck. Better ride, still built to have a plow, seats that actually have the real cushion comfort, and real cloth seats ( I'm not quite sure what the material is on the new ones). I did prefer cloth to leather, until I have the new so called cloth. I also own a 2003 Tahoe -LT Autoride package that has 111,000, that has had very few minor problems. I was going to trade in for another Tahoe, until I test drove the newer ones, and saw the decline in quality and ride. So I made the mistake of buying out right the 2011 Pick up instead. This 2011 has the roughest ride of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have a Peterbilt dump truck that rides way better than this 2011 Silverado. Why should I have to pay full price for a product that is not backed by the manufacturer? I did not buy a used car " as is". I have a bad vibration and extremely rough ride with the rattles. Like my Dad used to say "Old School" is still the best way (That means these engineers need to use a little common sense in designing these vehicles) Can you tell I am "Distressed"?

Last edited by Distressed; August 10th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado Vibration = Rough Ride.