Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2013 | 2:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by indyman
Louis
GM Customer Service,

Can you provide any further comments or recommendations? This clearly is a large problem that it seems is being treated with minimal care and consideration for loyal GM customers.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> indyman,

I’m sorry, at this time; I currently have no further information than what the dealer has provided to “dangevine”.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 4th, 2013 | 7:34 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I just had the radio replaced and replaced again just this past week around 1/27 and guess what-I can still hear the noise!! Its been 4 months that I am dealing with this and i finally went into my dealership after stuing for a week and demanded that they take care of this. I have heard that the Advent OGM 1 NAV radio from ADCMOBILE www.adcmobile.com solves the problem. I have been on the phone with the Walt and verifies that they have seen this problem in chevy trucks and that this radio solves the problem..
Old February 4th, 2013 | 7:43 PM
New User

Ho did they finally fix it? They replaced my radio twice and I still have the same noise.
Old February 6th, 2013 | 5:36 PM
CF Junior Member

They can keep replacing the radios as much as they want, and it won't fix the issue because it is an issue with GM's radio. All models of that type have the high pitched noise which originates from the small cooling fan motor inside the radio.
Old February 7th, 2013 | 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

They just replaced the radio in my Traverse which had the same issue. Battled with GM since this past September when I bought it and it finally came down to me telling the dealership I wanted to trade it back in. Only after that did GM finally decide to do something. They initially tried to put a line suppressor in on the power side of the radio.. of course that didn't work. SO they ordered a new radio and installed it... probelm is now resolved. My only guess is maybe the radio is from a batch that didn't have the cheap cooling fan motor? My other question is why on earth aren't they fixing it if they know about it and people are reporting it. I did not have a good time talking to GM customer care about it. Enough so where I'm not sure I'll purchase another GM. But any who.. my issue is fixed with a replacement of the head unit and it likes a completely different vehicle! Good luck and don't let them get away with it! If its a newer vehicle tell them you need to trade it back for one that doesn't have the problem!
Old February 7th, 2013 | 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Radio whine repair update - PIT5166C

For those of you who are still experencing this problem call your dealer and have them look for PIT5166C. I haven't found it on the web yet but my dealer said they replaced the radio per that bulletin. Not sure what the actual fix was but the noise appears to be gone (or after 7 months I've just blocked it out). One person I had in the truck said they could still hear it but it was very faint. The radio looks exactly the same from the outside.

Side note - I have a soft 1-2 shift and a an obvious slip during the 2-3 engagement. Engine revs. an additional 400-500 rpm and the forward motion slows noticeably. This happens whenever the trans. temp is under about 60°F. The colder the worse the slip. Dealer reported that no trouble codes were thrown and that it was normal operation. It sounds like a problem GM had a few years ago with bad seals on these 6 speed transmissions. Its hard to understand how product quality can suffer so much when GM forces suppliers to be certified with so many quality standards.
Old February 7th, 2013 | 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Radio Replaced - Sound Gone.

My Chevy dealership replaced my radio and the sound is gone. I do not recall what exactly they said it was, but I don't hear the sound any more.
Old February 14th, 2013 | 3:21 PM
New User

Just had my radio replaced and then replaced again. The sound is still there!
Old February 14th, 2013 | 3:22 PM
New User

They said they replaced it with a Panasonic(although I can't tell what brand it is) and I still have the noise-louder than ever!
Old February 14th, 2013 | 3:27 PM
New User

Hi CooterQ -Had the radio replaced twice and still have the noise. So I called your guy Walt at ADCmobile and he tells me that this radio will get rid of the noise. He does seem like a very knowledgable person. Said he fixed the same problem in other chevy trucks. My dealership is in contact with him and hopefully I will get the radio soon. I will let you know if it works. I sure hope it does. I'm getting very depressed about this. Never had a problem like this with a big company. I used to love Chevy.

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring