Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2012 | 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

So my recent call back form GM on the issue after a month of bugging them every day...
"We cannot do anything and GM will not replace anything. They are close to finding and answer for you but you need to be just a little more patient." They did offer to make 2 moths worth of vehilce payments for any "inconveince" this has caused me and will notify me when there is a fix. Well I'm not about to let up on them and will continue to call....
Old November 3rd, 2012 | 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Because this radio is in so many GM vehicles and omits such a loud constant sound, it may be worth taking our story and their bulletin to a local news station after the election is over. The potential to cause hearing loss in such a large number of drivers paired with the "we don't care" attitude should make a good story, especially as GM is so quick tell the world how they are the number 1 automaker again.
I wonder how they would react to the bad press and some viral youtube videos of us showing our broken radios and using decibel
meter app?
Old November 3rd, 2012 | 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

The service department at the dealership acknowledged it right away and found the service bulletin from GM stating that there is nothing to be done. It is obvious that GM is hoping that this problem will just go away since not everyone hears it. I had a friend buy a 2012 Silverado the same day and he couldn't hear the noise his radio emitted...but three other guys could right off the bat and his wife can't ride in the truck without getting a headache. I am still waiting to hear from GM on the issue but am pretty disgusted so far with their handling of the issue. My radio is out of the dash because I can't drive the truck with that noise. The ridiculous part of this is that GM has known since June that there was an issue but didn't do anything about it. I won't give them much more time before I take the truck back and make sure that nobody I have contact with will ever buy a GM again.
Old November 12th, 2012 | 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

So I have been apparently told that they (GM) will have a fix in 3 to 4 weeks for this... I'm pretty certain I have read this elsewhere too and sounds like a ploy to have me stop calling them every day.. This needs to be fixed like a few years ago!!
Old November 13th, 2012 | 7:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Santito
So my recent call back form GM on the issue after a month of bugging them every day...
"We cannot do anything and GM will not replace anything. They are close to finding and answer for you but you need to be just a little more patient." They did offer to make 2 moths worth of vehilce payments for any "inconveince" this has caused me and will notify me when there is a fix. Well I'm not about to let up on them and will continue to call....
Originally Posted by Santito
So I have been apparently told that they (GM) will have a fix in 3 to 4 weeks for this... I'm pretty certain I have read this elsewhere too and sounds like a ploy to have me stop calling them every day.. This needs to be fixed like a few years ago!!
What GM told you was nonsense and I'm throwing the BS flag. They said they have known about (or finally acknowledged) the problem at least six monts ago. They will never have a fix for this unless there's some sort of an arm twisting such as a class action lawsuit.

It's unfortunate something like that would have to happen for GM to stand behind their product. I went to an aftermarket radio and it has been great. Had one issue with the chime retention unit not registering the backup sensor alerts properly. But they got back to me right away and they did a custom software revision just for my case. Now if you ask me that's how you stand behind a product.
Old December 10th, 2012 | 9:14 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default High pithed noise in cab

My son got in the truck right after I bought it and he says to me What's up with that noise? I guess I didn't notice it right away -too smitten with my Brand New Truck. Well now it s driving me crazy. I spoke to my saleman and the tech guy at my dealership. One says he doesn't hear anything and the tech guy tells me something about all the computers and thousands of feet of wiring etc.. Finally he says it normal. Well I got news for you its not normal. I think I've actually developed Tinitus over it. I can still hear it in my sleep. Anyway its exactly as I have seen others describe it. You open the truck and it starts. The engine doesn't have to be running. I find if you turn your head at different angles it gets louder and/or softer. I can't believe I am paying for this. My last chevy 2002 was awesome -thats why I bought this one. I am bringing it to my dealership to see what they can do but from what I have read it won't be much. If I don't get satisfaction I will join a class action suit or start one of my own! I am calling Chevy headquarters tomorrow. The number is 1-800- 222- 1020.
Old December 11th, 2012 | 2:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by dangevine
My son got in the truck right after I bought it and he says to me What's up with that noise? I guess I didn't notice it right away -too smitten with my Brand New Truck. Well now it s driving me crazy. I spoke to my saleman and the tech guy at my dealership. One says he doesn't hear anything and the tech guy tells me something about all the computers and thousands of feet of wiring etc.. Finally he says it normal. Well I got news for you its not normal. I think I've actually developed Tinitus over it. I can still hear it in my sleep. Anyway its exactly as I have seen others describe it. You open the truck and it starts. The engine doesn't have to be running. I find if you turn your head at different angles it gets louder and/or softer. I can't believe I am paying for this. My last chevy 2002 was awesome -thats why I bought this one. I am bringing it to my dealership to see what they can do but from what I have read it won't be much. If I don't get satisfaction I will join a class action suit or start one of my own! I am calling Chevy headquarters tomorrow. The number is 1-800- 222- 1020.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dangevine,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your new truck. Did everything go well with Chevrolet headquarters?

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 11th, 2012 | 7:58 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I would love to get that number. I am in Long Island. Bought the truck about 2 months aga. Noticed the ringing after about a week. Salesman says he can't hear it and the tech guy at Huntington Chevrolet says it normal. my family won't ring in the truck due to the noise and I could swear it gave me tonitis. I am in the middle of going through the tech department again. I would jlove it if it was truly just the radio!
Old December 12th, 2012 | 4:49 PM
CF Junior Member

It IS just the radio. It seems to be the small cooling fan motor, whether GM wants to admit it or not. Give this a try - pull the fuse to the radio and see if it stops. That's what mine did.

The ringing itself and getting the runaround from GM made it unbearable, so I just bit the bullet and replaced the radio with an aftermarket unit. With the high pitch noise gone, riding in the truck is now more enjoyable.
Old December 12th, 2012 | 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Dealership and GM Reply

I brought my 2012 in to the dealership I bought if from. Two service reps sat in it each seperate from one another. They both heard the noise. The one did a good evaluation and we noticed the noise after we turned the truck off, the sound would maintain for about a minute or two and then shut-off. We turned the truck on and heard the noise again. Turned the truck off and heard the noise still for about a minute or two. He then put his ear right next to the radio controls...that is where the noise is coming from. He contacted GM. They replied they are aware of the problem and engineers are working on a solution. It is the radio. I do not recal what exactly he said, but I believe it was some form of electrical capacitor. In otherwords, everyone out there go to your Chevy dealership have them contact GM so we can push for a solution to be implemented. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring