Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2012 | 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

There is a bulletin out there where GM instructs dealers to tell us that it is normal, and that they are looking for a fix. That kinda makes me go

Fact of the matter is GM will not have a fix. This style radio is in many GM models for current and previous years. If GM's true intent is to stand behind their products, they would have had a fix for this a long time ago.
Old December 13th, 2012 | 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Hey everyone.... Finally got news on my truck after phone calls and 2 letters to my dealer and Gm headquarters my dealer called me yesterday and said they are replacing radios in trucks in fist quarter of next year Jan -Feb, I'm hoping they keep their word!!!!! My dealer has been good about it they at least admit that their is a problem.... good luck!!
Old December 29th, 2012 | 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default I also have the radio problem: 2012 Yukon XL

I bought a new 2012 Yukon XL in September. I noticed the high pitched radio noise immediately. I took it into my dealer and they noticed it too right away. The problem is definitely with the radio any time power is applied to it (engine on or off). GMC told my dealer that there was a service bulletin on the issue and to not attempt any repairs. WHAT? That's NOT acceptable. GMC needs to step up and remedy the issue now.
Old December 31st, 2012 | 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bigdave
I have a 2012 silverado crew cab . brand new off the lot on the way home at a stop light I picked up on a High decible noise, almost like one of those dog wistles. Very high pitched and peircing. I have tried for days to locate the source. It is coming from behind the dash. It is not a mechanical noise, malfunction, speaker noise, or anything like that. There is a sound!! so all these people telling you to get your ears checked are full of it! THERE IS AN ISSUE.
I have this issue also.. But it happens intermittently and only when its really cold out.It sounds like the chimes you hear when you start up the vehicle. Only its a steady high pitch sound as if the chime is stuck on. I am calling the dealer today. 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ extended cab.
Old December 31st, 2012 | 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default #PIT5166H is the Document number Nov 1, 2012

I stumbled onto a workaround in another forum. Place something over the light sensor. (make the car think it is night time) Turn the interior light dimmer as low as it will go. It's like volume control for the high pitch sound from the radio. The dealer is replacing the radio in a few weeks.
Old January 1st, 2013 | 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by waltersouthwood
I stumbled onto a workaround in another forum. Place something over the light sensor. (make the car think it is night time) Turn the interior light dimmer as low as it will go. It's like volume control for the high pitch sound from the radio. The dealer is replacing the radio in a few weeks.
What did you do to get the dealer to replace your radio?? I have been fighting with this since I bought my vehicle back in September. I have hit a brick wall with both GM and the dealership refusing to do anything with the radio until they come up with a "fix". If you could provide as much detail as possible that would be great. I even got denied when I kept telling them that I get headaches every time I have to drive anywhere!
Old January 2nd, 2013 | 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by waltersouthwood
That's interesting. I tried it in my Yukon and it has the same effect. I'm going to reschedule an appointment with the dealer to see if they will fix it yet. Thanks for the info.
Old January 2nd, 2013 | 2:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Adamk28
I have this issue also.. But it happens intermittently and only when its really cold out.It sounds like the chimes you hear when you start up the vehicle. Only its a steady high pitch sound as if the chime is stuck on. I am calling the dealer today. 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ extended cab.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Adamk28,

How did you visit to the dealer go? Were they able to resolve the issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2013 | 8:08 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Brought the truck in to Huntington Chevrolet-They showed me an official notice from GM#PIT5166B :High Pitch Sound From Radio Disdlay (Nov 1 ,2012. This problem has been found in Buick Enclave, Chevy Malibu Avalanche,Silverado,Suburban,Tahoe,Travers, GMC Acadia,Sierra,Yukon equipped with Radio RPO US8 or UUI. So this problem is huge!!!. It says and I quote Customers may comment about a high pitch buzz,whine, squeal or hum noise from the radio display. It then says that the dealership is to make no further repairs. that GM is working on a solution and once its available they will take care of it. I could get no ETA on when that would happen, just alot of I'm sorry, we understand etc.....In other words I just got put off. I asked if I could stop making payments while they figured things out. They didn't laugh. I am calling my local newspaper to see if they would like to report on this.
Old January 3rd, 2013 | 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Louis
GM Customer Service,

Can you provide any further comments or recommendations? This clearly is a large problem that it seems is being treated with minimal care and consideration for loyal GM customers.

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring