Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2014 Silverado RWD Z71 5.3l transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2021, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Silverado RWD Z71 5.3l transmission problem

New to the group,not sure if this is already posted but looking for advice. 2014 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L RWD with 124k miles. Taken care of extremely will. All maintenance done on time, 100k maintenance done last year. Truck seemed to loose a bit of power, a couple times RPMs rev higher than normal. Accelerate/decelerate 14-15, 24-25mph, harder than normal switch. No codes, no check engine light,no leaks, no delay in putting it in drive or reverse. Dealer,closest choice cause I live in a small town, hooked it up to there diagnostics computer and said the transmission was going out. But didn't provide a code or really any evidence besides my description of change. I recently inherited this vehicle, have all maintenance logs and know it was well taken care of. Best of my knowledge never towed anything. I'm doubting dealer, can't belive its going out. 1st thought of mine was Throttle Position Sensor. 2nd thought maybe transmission solenoids. Any history of known transmission problems for this year? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

There are a couple of known issues stated in service bulletins that may be the cause of what you’re experiencing.

PIP5429 - The first 2-3 up shift after a cold start may be a little harsh - this is due to air getting into the clutch pack. This is considered a normal characteristic. However, if you shift to reverse before starting to drive forward (such as backing out of your driveway) then air should be purged from the clutch pack and this TSB doesn’t apply.

PIT5206D - A faulty brake pedal switch can cause the PCM to think the brake pedal is being applied when it’s not, resulting in low engine power, with or without DTC’s. Due to the internal construction of the switch, the circuits that feed position signal to the PCM can fail while the circuits that feed the BCM for brake light control remain functional. This condition is easily checked by back probing the circuits at the pedal switch.

And of course, don’t overlook the basics - the fluid level could be low or contaminated. I believe the 2014 still shares the ATF cooler with the radiator, and even well maintained vehicles can have problems, so check the ATF level and condition as well as the coolant for signs of cross contamination.