Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Coolant light and convertor questions

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant light and convertor questions

I am looking to buy this truck- a 2002 Silverado extended cab w/ 5.3 V8. The prevous owner had the convertor(s) removed and had a straight pipe welded in place and dual tailpipes after that. Will this have any effect on the electronics in the long run? I know the dealer and he has been driving the truck for 5000 miles without a problem. The "coolant low" light came on todayalso. The water temp never saw 210 andthe coolant level was about an inchbelow the (cold) level. Everything looks to be good with the truck. I know it will scat when you call on it. I have never driven or even rode in this type of truck before today. I seem to hear more road noise (or wind)than Icare to.
(BTW) This truck is not a 4 wheel drive.
All opinions will be appreciated.
Old May 9th, 2007, 9:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Coolant light and convertor questions

First do you have emission testing there if so it wont pass otherwise it should be fine. The low coolant light is pobably the sender in the radiator they go bad and should be changed to keep the computer happy.
Old June 21st, 2007, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Coolant light and convertor questions

I used to have a truck like that and the wind noise you're hearing is probably coming from the back windows...I had the seals and windows replaced several times while they were still uder warranty but after it ran out i gave up. After driving it for 4 years i got used to the noise and never had any problems with water leaking.