Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Door Handles = Security?

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2006, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Door Handles = Security?

ORIGINAL: SILVERAD01

True on the breaking window part, but that's if they're really desperate. Is there any other way they can get in and out with what they want in less than 5 minutes, even with shaved or handles with no key holes and an alarm? And assuming they can't find the aux. popper. The alarm I want to put on is a 2 way pager - Viper 791XV.
I have the Viper 791XV alarm in my '03 silverado, came with a 2 way page, auto start, anti-grind and lots of other features. If you get it, make sure you tell the installer to have the blinking LED visible(next to center vent maybe), that way people will know you have an alarm system. Also, try not to leave anything in your vehicle where people can see it (ie. coins, music cd's, stereo, etc..). Keep in mind, alarms will not stop a person from breaking into vehicles if they find something they really want........keep a sling shot near you
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Silverado1,
I think the rear handles on the front is a good idea... As I replied to your last post my truck was broken into the same way yours was. After talking to the poice in my area, popping the lock out of the silverados is "normally" the only way they see these trucks broken into. Its quiet unlike breaking the windows and I dont think it sets of the factory horn alarm. So, I believe that having no key holes wouldnt be a bad idea. After 6 years with my Silverado I can not remeber 1 time using the key to get in. You cant leave the lights on, because they turn off automatically, so no dead battery.... So I cant see a reason not to do what you are talking about....

Good idea....
Old August 24th, 2006, 6:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Well so much for the rear handles, They need just a little bit of modification to fit right. Maybe I'll look for some aftermarket handles, or just jam the key hold with JB weld. lol. There's got to be some way to prevent this. If someone breaks into my truck again I won't know what to do. Last year I made the mistake of buying a Ford Expedition. 4 months later it caught on fire and blew up! Now I'm glad I'm back in a Chevy, and if my truck was to of gotten stolen I would of given up on trying to finance a vehicle. There's gotta be a way to prevent theft and I'll let everyone know when I find it.
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
CF Senior Member

If you put rear handles or aftermarket with no lock and the battery in your remote dies you will have to get a new one to get in. (not good it the wife or kids need to go to the hospital and your truck is in the back) If the battery in your truck dies, (yes your light turn themselves off, but batteries go bad, and lose wires or similar problems can kill a battery) Once it dies in your truck you will need a locksmith to get into it without hurting it, because you will not be able to get under the hood to get power to door locks to unlock them. The best thing you can do is put an alarm on it.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
CF Active Member

Ditto. The remote stuff without any other access is great for show cars but stay away from it in the real world.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Take a look at something called "JimmiJammer".

Looks simple, and it may help!
Old May 7th, 2007, 5:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you just disconnect or remove the rod that connects the key cylinder to the unlock Mechanism? That way you dont have to distroy the lock or buy any extra parts. You should be able to easily put everything back like factory if you want to later on. Even if theives rip off the handle, they shouldn't be able to reach in the hole and try to unlock the doors. The only bad thing I see with this is you probably will not be able to get in the truck using a normal slim jim if your battery is dead or if you lock your keys in the truck. I have seen locksmiths wedge a piece of wood at the top corner of the door frame and use a long slinder hook to unlock the doors. I also believe that there is a way to get under the hood from the outside but you have to get under the car and pull at the cable so you could provide power to a dead battery. You could even have like a 12volt connector like right under the bumper and connect a 12volt source so that you could have enough power to unlock the doors. If someone really wants in your car, they are going to get in it, but at least this will buy you some time. I would get a extra remote programmed for your truck and keep it in a safe place just in case. Or if you have it, keep onstar active.

I never seen a door panel off a 01 Silverado but maybe it could give some ideas. Hope this helps.