Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installation of Chrome Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2006, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of Chrome Door Handles

I am looking into getting the chrome door handles. I don't like the idea of using the chrome covers so I'm looking into the full handle replacement. Has anyone done this mod yet?

If so would it be possible for you to describe the installation with pics as well? Id like to do it myself but havent done much in the door besides speaker work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Collins
Old August 2nd, 2006, 1:51 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Installation of Chrome Door Handles

Check out the Edmund's forum as there has been a lot of discussion of this topic in their 2007 Tahoe thread.
Old August 7th, 2006, 3:20 AM
CF Active Member

When I bought my GM factory Denali/Escalade chrome door handles, instructions were included in the box. I have to admit, the instructions were somewhat vague, but if you're careful and intuitive the install is not that difficult. The hardest part is being careful while figuring out how things are peiced together. After you nail the first handle, the other three are pretty easy. Like doing a brake job on a new car for the first time, the first corner takes more time than the other three put together. If you can change a tire, you can probably do the handles with little problem. Good luck, the results are worth every penny and every minute of install time.
Old August 7th, 2006, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Any more detailed information on the install? I went to edmunds and did a search and didn't find any detailed instructions on this install. I'll be getting mine fairly soon and wouldn't mind knowing more about the install.

Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2006, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

Most of the tasks in removing the panel require prying. The first task on the front doors require prying the small triangular panels at the front of the glass behind (or inside) the rear view mirrors. I left the windows rolled up, even though I think the "vague" GM instructions said to roll them down. If I recall, there are 3 or 4 clips on the panels that "plug" into the door shell.

After that, you need to pry the control panels of the door inner trim panels (the woodgrain panels). These are mounted by the same sort of clips that you found on the triangles.

Then, pry the panels out from inside the "handle" area of the armrests. Under these are two 10mm bolts which must be removed.
Also, the door release handles have a small panel to be pried out and bolts removed. The door lock ***** have a small lock tab which must be pried and removed and the ***** pulled off.

After that, the inner trim panels themselves can be carefully pried from the door shell. Be sure to watch at the separation as you remove the trim panels, there are "plug-clips" that may fall off and need to be reinstalled. Also, there is a waterproofing membrane (thin white styrofoam as I recall) that is adhered with a thin bead of black adhesive. This membrane must be re-positioned before the trim panel is reinstalled as well.

After the trim panel is removed, you will look up into the inside "guts" where the door handle is attached. You need to unhook the linkage from the inner handle "bracket". Then you can remove the handle by the two 10mm bolts.

Replace the painted (or plain handles) with the nice chrome ones and perform the above procedures in reverse order. On the Driver's side, you will also have the lock cylinder to contend with, which is pretty simple. You just have to study the linkage and hold your tongue just right.

By the time you get the fronts finished, I guarantee that you will have the confidence to do the rears, as they are nearly the same with the exeption of the mirror backing panels.

I hope I included all the details. I'm going by memory and I'm just a tiny bit senile. Anyway, I really think that if you are brave enough to tackle it, you will prevail. Most of us are smarter than a dumb ole motor vehicle.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out. Even if you post to chew me out about my directions...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2787/19EF0684032646619A644A2FC18E333B.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

I just bought the OEM Chrome Handles and they did not come with an install sheet. I have been wondering about the effort to install them, as I am not that savvy with this type of stuff.

After reading your steps here, I think I need to have the dealer do them.

Thanks.
Old April 14th, 2016, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Old April 14th, 2016, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

www.1aauto.com Is where I got my replacement handles. Good price and install is simple. I found a video on youtube.