Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Engine shuts off seconds after starting

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2011, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shuts off seconds after starting

I had to disconnect the battery to hookup some cables for a meyers plow and now the engine shuts off seconds after starting. Is this a security/anti theft thing? How to reset?
Old October 24th, 2011, 9:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I work behind the counter of an automotive store
Sometimes Im called a genius and somtimes much much more
Im supposed to know the number of bolts and nuts and gears
Of everything that has been made for over fifty years
But life would be so easy Id smile from ear to ear
If the customer would just tell me THE MODEL MAKE AND YEAR'
Old October 25th, 2011, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default My Bad

2005 Chevy silverado V-6 auto 4wd k1500 regular cab long bed
Old October 25th, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

One of the guys I work had the same problem. He got out of the truck, hit his lock button and then his unlock button. It reset and everything is now working correctly. Hope yours could be this easy.
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pjbizjak,
You could try what jhargis1 suggested. Let us know what you find out. If it does not work, you can send me your name and VIN number and I can try and exhaust my resources to see what could be causing this.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 25th, 2011, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

I dont have keyless entry for one, now the truck is a my local dealer and they've had it for almost two days and still can't figure it out. They said it was the BCM, put in a new one and the same thing, starts then shuts down.

Pete
1GCEK14X85Z254586
Old October 25th, 2011, 5:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting duplicate threads is bad enough (see the other thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...connect-46021/) but seriously, dude, now you tell us you had your vehicle in for service for two days? Chances are better than good that the guy who installed the plow screwed up, cut some wire or something. Maybe you kept the service department in the dark as well?
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Pete,
I have forwarded this question on and am awaiting a reply. I will keep you updated as soon as I find an answer. Any other comments, questions or concerns feel free to PM me.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys but the problem has been corrected. According to the service tech there was a wire shorted out in the wiring harness goint to the BCM. They couldn't say for sure if the guys that hooked up the plow caused it or not. Anyway they fixed the wire and pu in a new BCM(GM picked up the cost ) so after $300+ dollars I have my truck back and alls well.