Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2012, 5:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

My normal routine is after 7k miles I replace the filter and top the oil off, after the next 7k I replace the oil and filter.

anyone who follows this oil change routine is an idiot! That is the recipe for creating an oil burner.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 8:12 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I would have to disagree,even GM says with the OLMS you can get up to 12k miles on dino oil.... so 14k on synthetic is reasonable....
Old April 3rd, 2012, 9:07 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jnaumuk,

Are there are any signs of leaking, oil lines, fittings, possible gasket issues?

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in these vehicles is 1 quart in 2000 miles.

Please keep us posted on the results of the consumption test from your dealer.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 3rd, 2012, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot I am then

Sign me up as idiot then. Amsoil all but gurantees theirfull synthetic oil for 20-25k miles depending on which 1 you use and that is with a filter change every 10k miles. I performed this same maint. on my 2000 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3L and it never burned a drop of oil in the 190k+ miles I had on it before I sold it. At 7k I am changing the oil filter and adding at least a qt. of new oil.

No oil leaks at all which is positive. I picked it up yesterday. They topped of the oil 1/4" above full and marked the dipstick. The gave me a data sheet to fill out at every gas fill-up. I have to check the oil level at every fill-up and record the level and other data. When it get's low or 2k miles then I take it back to the dealer w/ the report and then they evaluate it. On the instructions it says that if it is less than 1 qt./2k miles to tell the customer that this is normal oil consumption. Not sure if they were suppose to give me these instructions or just read them to me. It was more info. than the service manager gave me. I'm going to be towing the boat quite a bit this month w/ the good weather so it should be a fair test of what is going on.
Old April 4th, 2012, 5:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by in2pro
I would have to disagree,even GM says with the OLMS you can get up to 12k miles on dino oil.... so 14k on synthetic is reasonable....
gm may want to re-think the olm strategy. The long interval is stretching timing chains on all the 3.6l engines.

oil at 7k is BLACK. Detergents have the same life in syn as dino.

independant oil analysis testing data would be the only thing to convince me to extend the interval to that extent.

Last edited by tech2; April 4th, 2012 at 5:16 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

After a talk with the dealer and being told one quart in 2000 miles was acceptable oil consumption by GM, I decided to fix the problem myself.

I sold my truck and will not buy another GM until they fix this problem. I am now driving a Toyota.
Old December 4th, 2012, 6:21 AM
Super Moderator

if your burning oil and have active fuel management; there is a fix
Old December 5th, 2012, 6:45 AM
CF Beginner

So what is the fix? And why doesn't the dealership know about it?
Old December 7th, 2012, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator

gm has posted a tsb to correct the condition.

- one valve cover is replaced
-a shield is installed over the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan
- the spark plugs are removed and cleaning agent is added to the cylinders to remove the build up formed on the oil control rings
Old January 6th, 2013, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

I also have an 09 chevy with the 5.3 motor with AFM. how do you turn off AFM?

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado