Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2011, 4:13 PM
BPW
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problems

Hi everybody!!! Here we go I got a 1990 V3500 that won't start.I have gave it a tune up, starter, and fuel filter. Turns out my fuel pump was bad. I had a guy put it in, to find out now the new one is not getting any power. I was told it might be the fuse or relay but I have know idea where to look for this.
If you have any ideas please let me know thanks.

I am stumped!!!!!
Old March 20th, 2011, 7:18 PM
BPW
CF Beginner

Just changed the Fuel pump Relay still nothing!!!
Old March 21st, 2011, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try this....

All,
There is usually a Wire associated to the fuel pump in the engine compartment and/or close to the fuel pump relay. It tests if the pump is good and is also good for testing the wiring\fuel pressure etc. Find that wire (commonly purple but verify your vehicle) and look up the instructions on how to force the pump to the on position. Some say ground it out and others say hook it to power etc.

If you follow these procedures; and still no power disconnect the wiring harness from the tank and see which wire should have voltage. If there is no power then its most likely wiring related and you have to find the disconnect/break. If it powers up then its before the relay and may involve ignition system or I have actually seen a fuse on one of my sisters cars.

Once the pump turns on one should be able to start the vehicle up once the pump stops...after the initial "on" time to pressure fuel to the engine. Also at this time you can put a fuel pressure tester on and use this wire to verify the pressure is correct to the engine...If you want.

Also listen for the click of the relay when you turn on the ignition key. It should click, if no clicking that is a sign its the relay or the wiring coming from\to the relay is the issue.

As I said also check the wiring going into the relay. I had a pickup once where the wire was corroded so bad that it was basically worthless but it still plugged in fine and on occasion would work.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old March 21st, 2011, 8:37 PM
BPW
CF Beginner

Thanks I will let you know tomorrow!!!