Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel Problems and sticky gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2009, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problems and sticky gas pedal

To whom ever can help me out,

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 1500 With a Vortec 5.3L engine. The first problem is on a cold start the truck never starts the first time. It always starts the second time. I do hear the fuel pump run when I turn the ignition on, but I do not know what the pressures are. If I drive it to the store or for a short distance the truck will then start right up the first time. The other problem is my gas peddal is sticking badly. it only sticks when I try to push it down, I really have to step on it, after that it works fine. It does not stick when I drive the truck.

PLEASE HELP
Jeff
Old September 19th, 2009, 9:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. drive to the parts store and read codes, it's always a good starting point
2. whilst at the parts store, buy a can of carb choke cleaner and 2 cans of seafoam. find an old toothbrush. remove air duct off the throttle body and clean black gunk around the pintle valve. toothbrush come very handy when you need to work on the upper part of it.
3. find a narrow funnel and pour can of seafoam into EMPTY gas tank and refill with gas. drive. will clean all the fuel system guts. reason i said 2 cans is that if you have never treated your fuel system, might be a good idea to run 2 cans through in a row. seafoam is a strong medicine.
of course, any member here from the Bible belt will tell you to use STP or Lucas, he-he. those things are almost culturally historical in preferences. do seafoam, bud.
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow we must think alike. The only thing I did not do is get the codes read. At least i`m on the right track.
Thanks much
Old September 19th, 2009, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Try seafoam first.

If you still have the two-try cold startup, replace your battery cables. Sometimes when the cables get older, you have to waste a start attempt burning through the corrosion.