Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help selecting crate engine

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help selecting crate engine

I have never had to get an engine replaced on my 98 MC Z71. I have a few questions on the whole process, I live in Texas and when i replace the engine does the transmission need to be replaced at the same time? The original engine and transmission have 190k miles i plan to replace it in January if it doesn't crash before hand. What is a good brand to get?? What is the typical cost to replace everything. Local mechanic quoted me 4k to replace engine and get new motor but I have heard its been done cheaper. any help would be great
Old November 6th, 2011, 7:34 AM
CF Junior Member

I assmume you're looking for a new motor because your is broke past repair? if the block is not cracked, most motors can be easily rebuild for a fractio of a new one. (just food for thought). You don't have to replace the tranny, but have it rebuilt. New seals and prehaps new bearings will prevent more time in the shop than the road/trails.

Brand name is not super important, what you have to consider is what you expect your new motor to do for you...daily driver, towing, off roading...depending on your use can help steer you to the right choice.

Another option is get a new motor from a newer model GM truck at a salvage yard. Many have a warranty you can buy, just incase the enging is crap. This will save you $$$$.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an LS1 engine.
It will mount straight to your 4L60E transmission.
You will have to get new engine mounts, headers and an ecu,
But you would have 1 awesome truck and bragging rights.
You can go to LS1truck.com for information
Old November 7th, 2011, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

If you are just looking to replace with the same performance and don't want anything crazy try Jasper.I fyour trans has that many miles on it.I would replace it as well.
Old November 7th, 2011, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

The truck is still running but has a defiant knock. I assume it could be repaired, i would definitely like to rebuild it if possible and save some $$ but the thought of having a pretty sweet ride is tempting. Next question i hear a lot of people replace the rear end as well during all of this, is that recommended?
Old November 8th, 2011, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

changing the rear isn't something I would worry about unless you're having problems with it.I would personaly never buy a crate motor,but Ive built my share,and it's always rewarding to see something you put together come to life.LOL.But if you don't have the know how then leave it to the experts.