Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hopefully it gets fixed.

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2008, 11:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully it gets fixed.

Well, I just came back from the dealer. I boughta 08 crew cab silverado 3 weeks ago. I had a few issues with it that I have posted when I first got the truck. Those were, the reverse gear not working(which I almost got smashed by two cars when the truck wasn't moving when trying to back out of a street), even though the truck says its in reverse, the second glove compartment was badly unaligned and the real annoying big brake jolt from the slip yokethat I get when stopping or accelarting out of first gear.
After alot of b.s. and lies from the I got from the dealer telling mehow all of these issues are 100% unrepairable and normal for EVERYsilverado (This is b.s. because my buddies truck's (just like mine) are perfect), they have agreed to replace the glove compartment and take ANOTHER look at the transmission and jolt that comes from the transmission as well. They say they don't feel anything wrong with it and there is no such fix for the jolt feeling because if it get's greased or lubed it will get washed off by the water or something in the tranny. As he says, both of those tranny issues are NORMAL characteristics of the truck and nothing can be done to fix them.

Should I just say okay and let those issues be as they are? Or tell them its possible to fix(it is isn't?), since others have got that issue resolved. The glove compartment was my last issue, just those tranny problems I am worried about. I don't anything to be damagedin the future because of the slip yoke grinding so much or I don't want to have my family in my car when the tranny just revs and the truck won't move when it says its in gear and have a situation when their safety is at risk. Do you guys get where I am coming from? I'm not a complainer, trust me. Just don't want to have more issues down the road if nothing gets fixed rite now since the truck is brand new. Thanks. Martin.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: Hopefully it gets fixed.

if it were me i would let them have it back ,unless they were willing to write you a multi million dollar prepaid policy to pay in event of a crash or death of you or any family members that are injured or killed as a result of the so called normal function or carectertics of the 08 silverado . if they cant make it right !
Old November 14th, 2008, 2:42 PM
CF Active Member

Never let any issues on a new truck under warrenty go unchecked. take it back to them again or find another dealer. sometimes i have to take my truck to the dealer two times to get them to fix things. but they damn well know now to fix or keep the truck and payments, now.

chevys do have some drivetrain noises but more on the previous model not the 07+. id take it back.

good luck
Old November 14th, 2008, 3:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I talked to the service manager today and asked me what bothers me about the issues thats so bad. Is that a stupid question or what?! I told him its a brand new truck!! A new glove compartment should be in tuesday for replacement and they are going to see if they can do anything about the transmission since it seems "okay" to them. If it doesn't get fixed, I will call another dealer. But I feel I should have to call another dealer you know. Buy a 35k truck and not having some satisfaction from the expereince shouldn't be acceptable. Well hopefully I get my issues resolved.

Also another big favor ifyou guys can, can you guys post any experiences you guys have had with the slip yoke and brake jolt that have been repaired and how long its been okay for because I told the manager thatpeoplehave gotten itresolvedand he told me(his exact words),"they're liars, there is no fix for it, it's the internet,you can buy 1000 brazilian wives who swear they are all virgins, it's not true" and told me the excuse of how grease or lubricant doesn't do anything. SO IF ANYONE HAS POSITIVE EXPERIENCES WITH GETTING THAT SLIP YOKE LUBED AND HAVE THAT ISSUE SOLVED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN SHOW THAT DEALER.

Thanks alot. Martin.
Old November 14th, 2008, 5:47 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out this bulletin that was just released a couple days ago

#PIP4530: Transfer Case Overfull Vent Leak Or Repeat Transmission Concerns - keywords 2ML70 4L60E 4L70E 6L80 6L90 - (Nov 12, 2008)

Subject:
Transfer Case Overfull, Vent Leak Or Repeat Transmission Concerns
[align=left]

Models:
2009 Cadillac Escalade[/align][align=left]

2008-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2008-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL[/align][align=left]

Equipped with Magna Transfer Case RPO Codes NQF, NQH or NQG[/align]

[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment on transmission slipping or surging, transmission fluid is low or a leak out of the transmission vent. Technician's may find that the transfer case is overfull.
Recommendation/Instructions:
The above listed concerns may be caused by the transfer case input seal allowing fluid to migrate out of the transmission into the transfer case. If the vehicle has transmission concerns such as slipping or surging and or this is a repeat transmission concern, or there is a fluid leak from the shared vent inspect and if necessary replace the transfer case input shaft seal. See photo below for a typical seal concern.

Old November 14th, 2008, 5:53 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's another interesting one that kind of describes your problem with the slip yoke and accually talks about lubing the damn thing even though the service advisor says he won't do it. It also does say that the lubing is a temporary fix and that engineers are working on a fix.

#PIP4020F: Groan Clunk Or Bump Noise From Launch Or At Stop - keywords moan pop squawk start - (Oct 30, 2008) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Groan, Clunk or Bump Noise From Launch Or At Stop[/align][align=left]

Models:
2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra[/align]

[hr]

This PI was superseded to remove parts request. Please discard PIP4020E.
[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that their new body style full size pickup makes a groan, clunk or bump noise at parking lots speeds on launch or with light to medium braking. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backwards after stopping its momentum and create this noise. This noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full.
Note:This PI does not apply to the Silverado or Sierra classic versions.
Root cause may be the interface between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transfer case or transmission output shaft splines or fuel movement in the fuel tank. To isolate if the concern is the slip yoke or fuel slosh and not a brake noise the dealer may attempt to duplicate while coasting with the transmission in neutral and braking to a stop. If a groan noise is gone while braking in neutral the noise is slip yoke related. Dealers may lube the slip yoke splines with TransGel (J36850) to help reduce the noise.
If a clunk noise continues after completing the above, the noise has now been isolated to the fuel movement in the tank please make no repair attempts at this time as this noise is considered a operating characteristic.
If the noise can be isolated to the driveline, lubricating the slip yoke may only be a temporary repair and at this time engineering is investigating this concern.
Note:This PI does not apply to the Silverado or Sierra classic versions. [/align][/align]
Old November 14th, 2008, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for that help. I will print this out and take into the dealer. He told me if they can't replicate the problem or hear anything wrong, GM won't allow them to do any work on the truck since it seems okay to them and the only thing that the lubricant would do would be a MENTAL AND PHYSCOLOGICAL help to me or anyone else. And that nothing would truly help it. But thanks again for sure. I appreciate it alot.-Martin.
Old August 20th, 2009, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default There Is A Fix

I had the same problem with my 2008 Silverado Crew Cab. It would lurch a bit when coming to a full stop. When releasing the brake pedal, I could feel an obvious "clunk" before taking off. It almost felt like the guy behind me tapped my bumper. At any rate, I finally found a dealer who knew of the problem. Show them this and they should know what to do.

#PIP4020F: Groan Clunk Or Bump Noise From Launch Or At Stop - keywords moan pop squawk start - (Oct 30, 2008)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Groan, Clunk or Bump Noise From Launch Or At Stop</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2008 GMC Sierra</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superseded to remove parts request. Please discard PIP4020E.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2205697&from=nb#ss1-2205697">Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that their new body style full size pickup makes a groan,
clunk or bump noise at parking lots speeds on launch or with light to medium braking. Braking to a complete stop can force the propshaft slip yoke forward into the transfer case while the vehicle rebounds slightly backwards after stopping its momentum and create this noise. This noise may also be due to fuel movement in the fuel tank when not completely full.
Note: This PI does not apply to the Silverado or Sierra classic versions.

Root cause may be the interface between the rear propshaft slip yoke and the transfer case or transmission output shaft splines or fuel movement in the fuel tank. To isolate if the concern is the slip yoke or fuel slosh and not a brake noise the dealer may attempt to duplicate while coasting with the transmission in neutral and braking to a stop. If a groan noise is gone while braking in neutral the noise is slip yoke related. Dealers may lube the slip yoke splines with TransGel (J36850) to help reduce the noise.
If a
clunk noise continues after completing the above, the noise has now been isolated to the fuel movement in the tank please make no repair attempts at this time as this noise is considered a operating characteristic.
If the noise can be isolated to the driveline, lubricating the slip yoke may only be a temporary repair and at this time engineering is investigating this concern.
Note: This PI does not apply to the Silverado or Sierra classic versions.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="80%">GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

</TD><TD align=middle width=42> </TD><TD align=middle width=167>WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old August 25th, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Active Member

I've seen some people complain about this & mine has done it since new 2 & 1/2 years ago & the dealer never saw the problem so I just lived with it, but I stll look in the mirrors th see if someone did bump me!

THANKS
Old March 10th, 2010, 9:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey this is comon in this kind of trucks, i have a '07 silverado and it started doing it after 1 1/2 yrs or so, and i finally took it to the dealer to look at it and they found the problem immediately !!!
Search in this forum 'cause many other people has talked about it a lot!!! And yes it can be fixed !!! But i don't know how long this fix is going to last 'cause mine was just fixed a couple of weeks ago.