Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

ignition switch- to be or not to be?

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2006, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch- to be or not to be?

i've got an '81 1 ton 2wd and was just wonderin if it's possible to have a bad ignition switch to where you get no electrical nowhere? normally i've got running & headlights with the key out of the ignition but now nothing. when you go to turn the engine over you get nothing. no solenoid, no buzzers, no dash lights. and the ignition switch had been recently acting up where i'd go to shut the engine off but it would keep running for about 5-8 seconds and you'd have to almost twist your wrist 360 degrees to fire it up. so i was led to beleive all i needed to do was adjust the switch but never got the chance cuz the whole thing just went dead. would much appreciate any comments. thank you! i should mention that the battery is hot but am not sure if there might be a fusible link somewhere besides the main fuse block?
Old October 24th, 2006, 8:19 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: ignition switch- to be or not to be?

I'd replace the ignition switch first.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: ignition switch- to be or not to be?

thanks uncle bill, i think you're right. got the switch out so might as well replace it just to rule it out. hope it's under $20 though cuz i'm pretty poor right now! i put a multi-meter on it and i ohmed out with the leads labeled "b1," "b2" and "b3" but needle was dead with all the others. not even sure what that means in the big picture. it seems it is passing some current. was wonderin uncle bill if you might know where the fusible link is in this thing coming from the battery? all fuses in main block appear to be in good shape!