Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Intermittent Chimes and Warnings

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2021, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Chimes and Warnings

My 2012 Silverado HD Duramax LTZ is experiencing intermittent dash chimes and service warnings. About 2 1/2 years ago, at 82000 the fuel pump failed, I had the extended warranty coverage for that. Recently, with 90000 miles and counting, the dash chimes and random services warnings pop up. Just momentarily. When this happens, while driving or while idling in gear, or idling in the driveway, the door locks unlock and relook, sometimes repeatedly, the info window might display “Service Traction Control” or “Service Stabilalink” or “Service Trailer Brake Control” and similar warnings. The dash gauges will return to “OFF” position momentarily. The CHECK ENGINE light does not illuminate. The engine continues to run smoothly. I have taken the vehicle to my selling dealer several times, they can not get it to repeat the fault. There were codes saved but those don’t indicate a fault. The dealer has had my vehicle for two weeks, driving it periodically, but it doesn’t code. The next time I drive it, normal use, babying it, it chimes and goes haywire. Without turning off the engine I returned to the dealer and they still are not able to find a fault. I have no quarrel with my dealer, they are great. Great technicians, too. Frustrating. I am Leary of pulling my 5th wheel and getting stranded or having the trailer brake function and exhaust brake function fail me at an in-opportune moment. They have checked engine and harness grounds, also. Any ideas please!? GM people? Thanks.
Old March 19th, 2021, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Moving to the Silverado section.
The following users liked this post:
Jon10er (March 20th, 2021)
Old March 21st, 2021, 7:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

Are they only checking the PCM for codes, or are they scanning the entire system? If only the PCM, the BCM, HVAC, and cluster could have stored codes. Fault codes don’t set for no reason - even if the codes they see are in history and not current, they could still be clues.

Otherwise, this definitely sounds like an intermittent connection problem - grounds in the cabin, wiring that’s been spliced for aftermarket devices, the ignition switch and column wiring... the list goes on. The most obvious connection between all the systems is the communication network. Wiggle testing the wiring harness under the dash could narrow it down.

And don’t overlook battery connections - GM’s negative battery cables on these trucks are known for having problems staying tight.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gumby22. The dealer service advisor and I have settled on the BCM ( Body Control Module ) as the culprit. I searched online for similar issues. They have checked the wiring, connections, ground connections etc. No voltage drops, nothing that was obvious. Others with similar issues replaced the BCM and that solved the problem. So that is where we’re at. At dealers waiting on part. Thank you for your input. Dealer had checked most of these suggestions. Will see what happens.