Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Stabilitrak - Traction Control - SES Light - Lost Comm GMLAN

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2018, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Stabilitrak - Traction Control - SES Light - Lost Comm GMLAN

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2010 Sierra SLE 5.3L (LC9) Vin code "3" about 3 years ago. It's stock besides a front leveling spacer on the strut, no aftermarket electrical.
The truck will intermittently go into limp mode with "Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control" displayed on the DIC (No SES Light).
Eventually when the CAN bus reboots the SES light illuminates. After clearing the codes it drives normal until it happens again.
I've had it happen on the freeway, in park, on normal surface roads, over bumps, doesn't seem to be a reason why or when it occurs other than outside temps.
The odd thing is it only acts up when its warmer than 60 Degrees outside, this winter she drove fine without a single hiccup. Which tells me it
might be an internal module failure...
However, I've had it happen in the same spot on the way to work several times.
When I pull the DTC's it's mostly modules that lost communication codes on the high speed CAN bus or modules requesting MIL because of no ability to communicate

DTC's: U0073, U0100, U0101, P0700, P069E, U0140, U0121

- I've replaced the battery (Optima Red Top), cleaned the terminals and cleaned Mega Fuse. Tested Alternator with a Midtronics GR8
- Cleaned the Grounds on the Front Engine Block, Fire Wall, Chassis under drivers door, front frame by radiator. (Hood to Firewall ground strap missing)
- Removed the UBEC fuse block and swapped relays, no corrosion, applied dielectric grease.
- Removed the TPA lock on the TCM/ Trans connector, checked for backed out terminals or ATF leaking. Found nothing abnormal.
- Checked the Harness from the TCM going up to the Engine Block, nothing abnormal.
- Checked EBCM connectors & harness, nothing abnormal
- Checked FPCM connectors & harness, nothing abnormal
- Replaced 120 Ohm Terminating Resistor (Twice)
- Checked ECM connectors & harness, nothing abnormal
- Checked BCM Connectors, nothing abnormal
- Checked harness on top of engine, nothing
- Using a DLC Break-out box, I have 60 ohms on PIN 14 (CAN High), but haven't been able to test when it acts up.
- I can talk to most modules with my scan tool when the CAN bus is online, if I plug it in just after the bus went down, I cant communicate and have to wait until the bus
reboots to clear the codes and get back on the road. I used to be able to clear the codes "on the fly" while driving but it seems like its taking the bus longer to reboot
as time goes on.
Just ordered new Positive and Negative battery cables, and the Hood ground (not sure why the hood needs a ground)
Could the VCIM module be bad?

The truck is pretty much babied since I've had it, I change the oil myself every 2-3k (fear of AFM issues).
Change the Front & Rear Diff gear oil every 10K. T-Case fluid 3x a year. Haven't done a Dex-Cool, brake fluid, PS fluid or ATF flush yet.
I replaced my harmonic balancer and Serp Belt & AC belt, tires are normal size.
Don't go off-roading or tow with it. Replaced Front Brake pads and both bearings.
Besides living in Michigan (Salt State) and the truck having 175K, I'm surprised the truck has an issue.
My last GMT-800 2004 Tahoe LT (5.3L) had 400K at time of trade in.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm running out of ideas.
The following users liked this post:
I'mThatGuy (January 11th, 2024)
Old August 2nd, 2019, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem,throwing the same codes. it seems like my truck is a lemon. i have a 2013 chevrolet silverado 4.8L and its been a hassle ever since. hard shifting, poor fuel mileage. all that jazz

I've replaces the
-tcm
-ecm
- resistor
Old March 22nd, 2020, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 Silverado and the rear axle seizes while turning right or left. ABS, traction control, and brake light warnings are illuminated. I've been told that I need to replace the rear end even though the wheels roll freely. Please give me some suggestions.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

They told you right. It rolls freely in a straight line because that doesn't engage the pinion gears
Old May 2nd, 2021, 7:34 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same codes on my 07 Silverado .
Disconnect your negative battery cable then pull each fuse in the engine bay fuse panel ONE at a time . use a multi-meter to test each fuse for continuity . and each relay one at a time paying attention to maintain orientation of terminals . (Some of those relays will go in backwards )
You are looking for corrosion on the terminals .
I had 2 separate fuses that were non conductive because they were corroded open .

I applied “Truk-lite” YK77 terminal corrosion preventative grease to all connections under that panel and to all fuse and relay blades and sockets . this was done to help prevent future corrosion issues .

I hope this helps you . It is time consuming but far less expensive than paying someone else’s shop rate to hope they find the problem .
Old May 2nd, 2021, 7:38 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by temsr
I have a 2010 Silverado and the rear axle seizes while turning right or left. ABS, traction control, and brake light warnings are illuminated. I've been told that I need to replace the rear end even though the wheels roll freely. Please give me some suggestions.
I had this happening to me and it was because my steering column was 1 full turn off center and it was triggering the abs module when I turn to the right every time .

Hope this helps
Old September 8th, 2023, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

My 2009 has been rock solid until last week. 177k miles now but looks like 50k, and ran like new until it started having electrical seizures. Same sad story, ABS, stabilitrack, reduced power, oil overtemp (cold start so false alarm), CEL flickering randomly, and either it starts to crank and quits, or starts and stalls after a few seconds, or if I'm lucky it will start and run fine. I won't drive it, doesn't run long enough to chance getting stranded. Pulled battery connectors and reseated, reseated the PCM connectors, and main fuse block. Pulling fuse block and plugging back in will usually let it crank again, but even when everything works right the CEL comes back on with every key on event. CEL will go off after 30 seconds of running, but the code is P0604. I have a new PCM on the way in hopes that fixes that. But I'm not convinced it will fix the crazy "bad ground" symptoms. This is beyond frustrating. I've driven this truck up and down the east coast numerous times, towed trailers regularly, actually just pulled my new 2011 Nissan Frontier back last week before all this started. Guess it's jealous? Now I won't drive it around the yard. Hope I can figure this out...