Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

oil problems ('96 v8 5.7 silverado)

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2011, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, when he said he couldnt tell for sure without looking at it i said no thanks. if the gaskets are good i still have to pay for all that labor/parts on top of what else is wrong.

as far as the sending unit, i assume that it is still ok to drive right? i can replace it over the weekend. i forgot to check for smoke on my lunch haha, but i'll check after work before i drop it off to get the oil changed. the truck still drives the same regardless of what the gauge says.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

you have to go to your local auto parts store and ask for a manuel oil guage. if you want to you can email me your phone number i will call you and explain in more detail
princessauto
Old February 23rd, 2011, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

ok, last night i checked for smoke. there was none when i first started it up and there was none after i drove it around for a while. i got an oil change and even though i was doing it early, it was pretty low. i havent seen the check gauges light come on but the gauge does still flicker around quite a bit. the check engine light was off after the oil change but is on now. i dont know what they would have done that would have made it go off.

i will check for bubbles under the oil cap on my lunch break today. might also do the carbon monoxide detector test tonight.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 7:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil pressure

The thing that troubles me is your symptom shows up when stopping or starting. This would point me to trouble in the oil pan. Baffel or pick up tube maybe.
Old February 24th, 2011, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

oh ok, i'll do some research on those. thanks for the info! this morning i found out that the CEL problem only happens while i am idling. sometimes the light will turn off and if i can drive for a while without having to stop it will stay off until i come to a red light and have to idle for more than a few seconds.