Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Oil pump question.

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2009, 1:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump question.

Replacing the oil pump in my 92' Silverado, while I am replacing the oil pan I thought I would replace the oil pump while I'm at it. I've been trying to figure out a way to get the pick-up for the pump into the pump itself for about a hour now and I can't get it to go in. The inlet on the pump is the same size as the outlet on the pickup. I just can't seem to get it started going in. Anyone ever had this problem? I don't want to ruin the pickup or pump. Anyone got a good method of doing this. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything similar to my problem.
I thought about putting a piece of wood on the pick-up tube that goes into the pump itself then lightly tapping it with a hammer but I fear that I would ruin something. I've tried lubing the pick-up outlet but I didn't have any luck with that. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.